Core grafx -nothing but a blank green screen

Started by bigsanta, December 04, 2010, 06:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsanta

So i made up a new region mod pcb ,tested the thing was switching regions before hooking up the spdt slide switch ,all OK,but the control wire slipped out of my fingers and touched something on the console ,now it's dead ,black screen ,no sign of life on my 1084 monitor .So i see the fuse is open circuit and replace it ,using the legs cut off of a rectifier diode as the new legs for the fuse.

Soldered on perfectly the new 1 amp fast blow fuse,power up and now all i got was  either a blank black screen ,a grey screen or a blank green or red screen .On further examination i finally find that the ribbon cable soldered to infront of the exp connector has snapped a few wires .Now i've soldered everything back as it was ,checked continuity ,made sure the grounding shield on the base of the core grafx is doing it's job ,but it's still borked.Now i just get a blank green or red screen .

So i removed the region mod and checked the whole console to see if any bits of snipped wire or solder splats had linked anything,nothing .

jetblue

do you get different solid color screens when a games in it?

bigsanta

Quote from: jetblue on December 11, 2010, 07:50:17 PM
do you get different solid color screens when a games in it?

Yes and no,it will start up then switch to one colour and stay like that and if i remove that game and switch on with nothing inserted ,that colour will remain.

l_oliveira

Make sure that you didn't break any of the wires that connect the hucard board to the main board. Any short or broken connection  on data or address lines will prevent the unit from booting.

bigsanta

I'm just going to replace the whole FC ribbon cable anyway ,as it's that old and stiff ,which has caused it to snap at a few connections on the main motherboard before.