Handheld Genesis 2 Ideas Wanted

Started by crait, November 26, 2010, 06:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crait

Alright, guys. I've got my hand held Genesis 2 completely set up. I just need to solder everything together and put it into an enclosure. I need some ideas for more stuff to add before I close it up! Anyone want to add any more mods to this list of stuff I'm gonna do?
• Back-Lit Screen.
• Screen Brightness
• Screen Color Saturation
• Screen Aspect Ratio
• Headphone Jack
• Speaker
• Speaker On/Off Switch
• On/Off Button with Rerouted LED from the LED on the board
• Composite Video-Out
• Rechargeable Battery
• Extended 2nd Controller Port
• Expanded and Mounted 1st Controller

I don't really care about region hacking; What else should be added?
EDIT: Oh! And I need an enclosure. Anyone know of some good places to get some in Texas besides Fry's or online?
EDIT 2: OH, SNAP! I want to do some mods with the expansion port. Is there a pinout for that somewhere? I'd like to line some LED's or something to it.

Drakon

volume control?  And rgb out shouldn't be too hard to fit

crait

Yeah! I should definitely add a volume control!
And what would be the benefit of RBG out?

Drakon

Quote from: crait on November 30, 2010, 06:40:22 AM
Yeah! I should definitely add a volume control!
And what would be the benefit of RBG out?

Seriously?  You can convert rgb beautifully to common formats like s-video component video even vga using encoder boards

crait

I thought that was what composite was for.
I don't to have to do more work than I need to for video...

Drakon

Quote from: crait on December 10, 2010, 07:23:12 PM
I thought that was what composite was for.
I don't to have to do more work than I need to for video...

okay it was just an "idea" I wasn't saying you must do that.  I figured if you're adding controller ports how hard can it be to add a rgb port?  Genesis 2 natively outputs rgb anyway.

kendrick

The reason you might want to retain RGB output would be if you want to continue supporting 32x input. The peripheral combines the RGB output of the Genesis with its own video overlay and then sends the consolidated screen update to whatever the 32x output is connected to. So for a handheld to support it, you'd also have to have a video screen input. Ideally, you'd do both using the native Genesis video connector.

Drakon

a portablized system with an intact expansion port.....hardcore  :o