DVDO Iscan HD

Started by davizonshay, November 10, 2010, 08:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davizonshay

hi guys, i just got my hands on a nice used DVDO iscan hd, i want to connect my dreamcast, playstation 1, gamecube (all pal machines...) and my snes (ntsc-us) to my 37" Samsung via rgb.
my question is... in the manual it states that the unit accepts rgbs signal type, is there something extra that i should do other then removing the scart leads from my old cables and connecting plugs?
any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Fudoh

Don't cut your Scart cables. Just built an adapter cable with a female Scart socket on the one side and 6 RCA (Chinch) plugs on the other end. To make a proper adapter, use four 75 ohm coax cables for the four video lines (R,G,B,Sync/Video) and two cables of your choice (coax won't hurt either) for the two audio lines.

davizonshay

Thanks Fudoh, the thing is that building such an adapter will degrade the signal wont it? plus it's not like scart will make a comeback or something, all the current generation HDTV's lack it (which is why i had to get the iscan in the first place...) and it was never that popular to begin with. i was considering using the video primer suggested on the main gamesx site using a hd15 plug and maybe getting a nice analog kramer switcher (vp-41) to hook all my older machines via the iscan.
I guess that if i do take your approach, at least for the time being i can test the unit out, by the way should i remove the caps? the iscan has picture control so i can adjust the image through its own menus.

NFG

Hey davisonshay, if you lock this topic no one else can reply to it.  If you didn't mean to do this, unlock it again.

Fudoh

Quotethe thing is that building such an adapter will degrade the signal wont it?
no, definitely not in any visible range as long as you use quality components.

Quoteplus it's not like scart will make a comeback or something, all the current generation HDTV's lack it
you aren't located in Europa, are you  ? Over here every current HDTV set still has RGB-enabled Scart connections.

Quotethe main gamesx site using a hd15 plug and maybe getting a nice analog kramer switcher (vp-41) to hook all my older machines via the iscan.
of course you can do this, but you can also just get a Scart switch box and use your cables as they are. I just don't understand why you want to put work into something really not neccessary (any without any gain).

Quoteby the way should i remove the caps? the iscan has picture control so i can adjust the image through its own menus.
definitely not, since the iScan only has picture adjustment per input, all your RGBs source have to share one setting (unless you want to fiddle with the controls all the time), so it's important the signal levels of all your systems are as close together as possible.

davizonshay

hey Fudoh, i was under the impression that any any connection or extension that you make degrade the signal or introduce noise in some way i come from years of experience in hi end audio and video and being a purist it's just something that you don't usually do.
however i might be wrong and i'm gonna try your way out for the time being as it is much easier and cheaper than mine.

I live in Israel and we basically get the European versions of everything.
I decided a year ago to upgrade all of the displays around my house (3x hdtv's 37", 32", 26" 3x 20" PC monitors and a 1080i dlp projector) and mainly the one in my study which is also my game room and for the life of me couldn't find any decent 1080p display that had scart or svideo, they all have 3 hdmi's 2 components (if youre lucky...) vga and composite. its sad but no one cares that before there was digital something named analog once existed...

scart switch boxes, at least the ones that I've seen so far look cheap and i was looking for a way to connect all of my machines to the display at the same time using the best quality that i could afford, that's why i was thinking about the video primer suggested on the main gamesx site and getting a good analog vga switcher.
if you have suggestions about a good scart switcher i'll be happy to look it up.

I will leave the caps on as you suggested but even if i do i think that i will find myself tweaking the image as i switch from console to console or from game to game.
I got used to doing that on my old iscan pro.

Thanks for your help and input! it's much appreciated.

Midori

A connection will always degrade a signal. But when done properly and in this case it will most likely not produce any flaws that you can actually see or hear. You can always just try and if you think it makes it worse then you can go ahead with your original theory.

panzeroceania

it will degrade the signal, but probably no more than you would already be doing if you cut into the bare wire and tried to solder things up. Either way there is going to be minimal loss but probably not enough to matter, and really there isn't really an alternative unless you plan to rewire everything.

an external connector box is a very practical solution.

cgm

Quote from: davizonshay on November 12, 2010, 01:04:00 PM
I live in Israel and we basically get the European versions of everything.
I decided a year ago to upgrade all of the displays around my house (3x hdtv's 37", 32", 26" 3x 20" PC monitors and a 1080i dlp projector) and mainly the one in my study which is also my game room and for the life of me couldn't find any decent 1080p display that had scart or svideo, they all have 3 hdmi's 2 components (if youre lucky...) vga and composite. its sad but no one cares that before there was digital something named analog once existed...

This is becoming more and more common. Composite seems to be sticking around, but a lot of new TVs here in the US now lack S-Video ports. Annoying because I own an SVHS VCR.... analog is far from dead in this household and I hate composite dot crawl!

davizonshay

it's weird that manufacturers decided to keep the very worse that analog had to offer, perhaps composite is cheaper to keep design wise. anyways i don't see any other way to get good quality analog video now days other then using an external scaler, not just for gaming but also for all the video sources that came before the digital era, my laserdiscs and consoles shine using my iScan HD it was a good investment and i would suggest to others to consider a similar solution for their own setups while faced with the same problems.

panzeroceania

I suspect it's rather because S-Video was never as wide spread and mostly used by early adopters, who now have moved on to the new latest and greatest.

but yes, it is annoying. It's annoying that RGB never hit the commercial market in the USA.