My X68000 won't play certain disk's

Started by ReptoiedREJ, November 07, 2010, 10:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReptoiedREJ

Hey guys, I'm a long time viewer first time poster, I resonantly got my hands on a X68030 which I found on a trip to Japan, along with a few games. The titles include Street Fighter II Dash/ Final Fight/ Strider/ Fatal Fury/ Fatal Fury 2/ After Burner. My X68k plays Street Fighter, Fatal Fury and Fatal Fury 2 fine, I simply pop them in and they load up and play after following the on screen instructions telling me to put which disk in at what time. However the Final Fight, Strider and After Burner are giving me a problem. When I'm prompted to insert the main boot up disk I put it in Drive 0 and after it loads it returns me to the main prompt screen were it shows me all this random computer jargon and never loads up the game? I'm a new X68K owner and am not shure what the problem is so I figured you'd be the guys to ask. I remember hearing these magnetic floppies tend to die after a while is that the case or do I need to type something at the A: prompt? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

eidis

Hi !  

Sorry for the late reply.  It sounds like a disk read error. The best thing you could do is build yourself a dedicated PC with Windows98 and 1.2 MB 5.25" floppy drive for data transfers.

Then download the latest TOSEC which is Sharp_x68000_TOSEC_2010-05-02 from the usual places.

Next thing would be to buy some 5.25" floppies from eBay and use xFloppy to transfer new games to them.

http://www.geocities.jp/lieutenantq1998/xfloppy.htm

If you are feeling brave enough, try my CF card tutorial.

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:hard_drive_on_sasi_machine

Hope it helps,

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

ReptoiedREJ

Thanks Eidis
    To tell you the truth a less expensive rout would be to just rebuy the games. Final Fight and Strider are not that hard to find on Ebay, of course I'll be paying more for them then I did in Japan. Then theres the possibility of again ending up with defective disc's if that happens I'll probably just go the emulator rout.

NFG

In my experience the disks almost never go bad.  I've bought over 300 X68 games and never had one bad one.  Bad drives, common problem.  Bad disks?  Never.

Not to say it couldn't happen, but I've been abusing floppies since you had to flip the disk to read both sides, and they so rarely fail.  3.5" floppies were shit, but 5.25" were bulletproof, nearly.

Magic Knight

I bought a copy of Star Wars and a disk was bad, so I bought another, and one of its disks was bad, amazing really. On the third time of asking I finally got a working copy. I have  a copy of Super Street Fighter II with one bad disk.

I had a copy of Street Fighter II' with a bad disk, but managed to sell it for $55 anyway. As it wasn't the system disk I could copy a working disk and included that. The guy didn't have an X68000 anyway, so it didn't matter.

I also had a non-working Xevious, but a friend gave me a backup of his copy, and I was able to copy from his disk to my original, fixing it in the process - some of the files had gone missing.

But I've had 190 games and packages, and they were the only problems. I never had any problems with 5.25" disks back in the 80's either.