Games don't recognize CF HDD

Started by Shou, November 01, 2010, 01:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shou

I've replaced the old SCSI HDD with a SCSI converter + Compact Flash and have installed Human68k with no issues (the machine boots up fine and I can copy files from the floppies). However, when I try to boot up games to install to the HDD or use the HDD (most ask to hold down OPT.1), the games never see that HDD is there. Anyone have any clues on what the issue is?
become history

netwalka

Quote from: Shou on November 01, 2010, 01:04:23 PM
I've replaced the old SCSI HDD with a SCSI converter + Compact Flash and have installed Human68k with no issues (the machine boots up fine and I can copy files from the floppies). However, when I try to boot up games to install to the HDD or use the HDD (most ask to hold down OPT.1), the games never see that HDD is there. Anyone have any clues on what the issue is?

Hello Shou.
If you want to install games, for example, Gradius 2 to HDD, disk 1 should be inserted to drive number 1 and disk 2 should be in drive number 0. Then the install message will come out automatically. No opt1 pressed on boot up needed.
Opt1 press is only needed when you select SCSI HDD as boot up device (selectable in the Switch.x program)
How about modify HDD's SCSI ID from some numbe to number 0 ?
And how about change boot sequnce to  "STD" in the Switch.x program.
Or you maybe see some switches in the SCSI converter. If it is on special position for HDD speed ups or hardware partionings, then  those switches should be placed in normal mode.
If there's still problems, maybe the game's SCSI driver has some kinda problem to match with your SCSI converter.
Try another games. Elf's games like Elle, Foxy2, Dragon knight 2,3,4, Capcom Super street fighter,  etc... that supports HDD installing.
Good luck Shou.

P.S What kind of machine do you use? If you use SASI based machine, forget everything above. I don't know about it. xD

Shou

My setup:
XVI HD
68030 CPU aka Xcellent30
68882 co-pro
8MB RAM
Mach-2 SCSI Card
System Sacom MIDI Card

Before I started changing the switch.x settings yesterday, the machine would boot using the CF HDD. After changing the SCSI ID, it now picks up the SCSI controller and looks for my external HDD to boot. I want it to use the CF HDD as the main boot source but not sure how to resolve this conflict now as the boot sequence is on STD and every SCSI ID I try now will pick up the SCSI card.
become history

netwalka

Quote from: Shou on November 06, 2010, 12:04:23 PM
My setup:
XVI HD
68030 CPU aka Xcellent30
68882 co-pro
8MB RAM
Mach-2 SCSI Card
System Sacom MIDI Card

Before I started changing the switch.x settings yesterday, the machine would boot using the CF HDD. After changing the SCSI ID, it now picks up the SCSI controller and looks for my external HDD to boot. I want it to use the CF HDD as the main boot source but not sure how to resolve this conflict now as the boot sequence is on STD and every SCSI ID I try now will pick up the SCSI card.

I guess it would be a problem of Mach-2 SCSI card. Does Mach2 need special device driver? I don't know much about it, but maybe it reside in S-RAM or something.... Check out the manuals about booting sequence setting.  If mach2 is set to be the first device mandatorily by device driver that is needed to be disabled.
Or try to remove Mach2 from the slots and check the game install works.

By the way, you have a Xellent30 and you also have setting disk? Could you please send me a disk image of that disk?
One of my friend get one Xellent30 card without setting disk from "Yahoo auction japan" and he wasn't able to even check it works 'cause he couldn't do anything without setting disk. Please help him.
You can use mkimg.x program to make a disk image from the X68000's 5.25 floppy drive.  
prompt line options is like below (....when you boot from HDD, and the HDD is [a:] and floppy drive is [c:]...)
a:¥>mkimg.x  -B  c:  a:¥xlnt.img
That means make a diskimage file from [c:] drive as [xlnt.img] file.
Please, mail me at netwalka@daum.net.
Thanks for reading.

papa_november

Why do you have a SCSI card when the internal SCSI on the XVI works just fine? (or does it...)

Shou

Quote from: papa_november on November 07, 2010, 10:58:01 AM
Why do you have a SCSI card when the internal SCSI on the XVI works just fine? (or does it...)

For external devices like a HDD and MO drive.
become history

Shou

Quote from: netwalka on November 07, 2010, 10:24:25 AM
My setup:
XVI HD
68030 CPU aka Xcellent30
68882 co-pro
8MB RAM
Mach-2 SCSI Card
System Sacom MIDI Card

I guess it would be a problem of Mach-2 SCSI card. Does Mach2 need special device driver? I don't know much about it, but maybe it reside in S-RAM or something.... Check out the manuals about booting sequence setting.  If mach2 is set to be the first device mandatorily by device driver that is needed to be disabled.

By the way, you have a Xellent30 and you also have setting disk? Could you please send me a disk image of that disk?
One of my friend get one Xellent30 card without setting disk from "Yahoo auction japan" and he wasn't able to even check it works 'cause he couldn't do anything without setting disk. Please help him.
You can use mkimg.x program to make a disk image from the X68000's 5.25 floppy drive.  
prompt line options is like below (....when you boot from HDD, and the HDD is [a:] and floppy drive is [c:]...)
Thanks for reading.

I actually picked this machine with the current setup from a developer so no idea how it's put together. Looking at the Mach-2 screen, looks like there is something in S-RAM. I'll try changing it again in switch.x.

I probably have the original Xcellent disk in the box but it's in storage. Also, I have no way to transfer from the disk to my PC...
become history

netwalka

Quote from: Shou on November 08, 2010, 11:57:59 PM
Quote from: netwalka on November 07, 2010, 10:24:25 AM
My setup:
XVI HD
68030 CPU aka Xcellent30
68882 co-pro
8MB RAM
Mach-2 SCSI Card
System Sacom MIDI Card

Thanks for reading.

I actually picked this machine with the current setup from a developer so no idea how it's put together. Looking at the Mach-2 screen, looks like there is something in S-RAM. I'll try changing it again in switch.x.

I probably have the original Xcellent disk in the box but it's in storage. Also, I have no way to transfer from the disk to my PC...

Thanks for reply and listening carefully to my words, Shou.

I'll show you some way.

If you get system's setup done, and you can make a diskimage from the Xcellent disk by mkimg.x and store it into the CF card,

then the CF card contains that diskimage.  (mkimg.x download link is heremkimg.x)

You can make a backup copy of CF card in the PC at the sector level.

The proper program to do this kind of job is to use "Active @ disk image"

Program download link is here -> http://software.lsoft.net/DiskImageTrialSetup.exe

After installing program,  please select "Create RAW image" at the menu (because the program does not recognize x68k's formats)

and select drive where your CF card inserted.

This program can backup whole data from the CF card. Also that image is usable in the XM6 emlulator.(You can install games to the hdd image by using *.xdf  files itself and copy huge files from CF card image to CF card image at much faster speed than real x680000. After works, you can restore CF card image to CF card. :O)

And that CF card image can be read in DiskExplorer (program link is here -> http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013937/editdisk/index_e.html

You may extract Xcellent.img from that CF card image by using DiskExplore.exe program.
Just mouse right click on the file and popup menu shows and choose "Extract" Ctrl+E

If you doesn't have any way to transfer files(...like mkimg.x :D) from PC to X68k,  you too can import files from real HDD to CF card image by using Diskexplore,
and restore this updated image to CF card. That is usable in real machine.

You may E-mail me with that "precious" xcellent.img file and I can help poor friend...  :D
That's how it goes.

Thanks for reading long text, Shou.
And thanks for your regards.

eidis

Shou,

Did you manage to solve your problem ?

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

Shou

Sorry guys, haven't had a chance to look at this again. We did Thanksgiving early this weekend at my house so it's been on the backburner. Will look at this week among my other projects like how to do format a FM Towns properly (PM if you have suggestions!), installing a CDROM into my A1200 and figuring out why the SCSI CDROM in my 9821 doesn't open anymore...
become history

BlueBMW

Massive necropost here....

I encountered this exact same issue only on a Super HD unit.  With the MACH 2 board installed I couldn't boot from a CF drive using the internal SCSI connection.  To fix it I had to change JP3 on the MACH 2 board to disable the MACH2 ROM.  After that everything worked fine and I was able to use the MACH 2 as just an 8mb RAM board.  Not sure if you want to use both the internal AND the MACH 2, maybe you have to switch everything over to the MACH2 board if you're going to use it.