Playstation controller decoding

Started by Pingu, February 27, 2004, 05:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pingu

Does anyone know how to decode the playstations signals to pure on/off logic? There is a PS->neo-geo converter wich basically does the same thing but it only suport 4 buttons (I need at least 5) and it has alot of useless stuff like using analouge sticks, autofire and slowmotion (oscilating the start button <_<). Schematics, products, every tipp is apriciated.

/Pingu

All together now...

Buy yourself a cheap-ass digital PSX pad, open it up, and solder your wires for your switches to the button terminals.

There you go.

Pingu

Erm... I want a decoder, so that people can use their own ps arcade sticks in it. Not only use one hardwired controller.

Is it so hard to give him a polite answer ???

Try out this side. It's a description of both, playstation pad and memory card:

www.classicgaming.com/aec/css/pad_and_mem_card_data.txt

Greez VPCoder

Pingu

Thanks, getting closer at least. Not good enough with electronics to think out a way to do anything with that document though. ^^;

NFG

There's not going to be an easy way to do this, no solution will require anything less than a PC and its parallel port, or custom-programmed microcontrollers to decode a PS pad.  The actual physical connection part is easy, it's the software that's a pain.  

VPCoder

QuoteThanks, getting closer at least. Not good enough with electronics to think out a way to do anything with that document though. ^^;
QuoteThanks, getting closer at least. Not good enough with electronics to think out a way to do anything with that document though. ^^;
I'm sorry, but this is really not true. I am by myself, developing an interface for Sony Playstation Pad to PS/2 Mouse & Keyboard.

The easier part of software, I've done -> Decoding the Pad.

I just have to write the documentation (in German), draw a schema and find a good way to connect the Game Pad to my circuit (kind of DIN Connector to switch between Playstation and my Interface).

My Software is written in assembler for a Microchip PIC16F628. PowerOn-Reset, Oscillator and also PullUps are integratet in this microcontroller, so you just need this one component, nothing else.

As soon as I've completed the software I will give this project free. I think it would be finished in a week or two (depends on my sparetime).

If you're interested in more infos, please feel free to ask.

Greez VPCoder

VPCoder

QuoteAs soon as I've completed the software I will give this project free. I think it would be finished in a week or two (depends on my sparetime).

Sorry a mistake. I meant, as soon as I've completed the DOCUMENTATION, I will give this project free. The software of course IS completed

Greez VPCoder

Pingu

Oooh, neat. How much are we speaking of in parts for 4 units under 200euro?
No problem with the documentation being in German either.

VPCoder

QuoteOooh, neat. How much are we speaking of in parts for 4 units under 200euro?
No problem with the documentation being in German either.
Money ??? Do you really wan't to pay ???  :D  :lol:  :D

To clear some things :

- I will NOT offer any complete units to buy
- I will give people, who are interested in this project, the hole documentation
  -> Word doc
  -> Schema
  -> PIC Software (Hex-File and Source too)

And the best of all this -> everything is for free. I hate this guys that want money for every little project, they do. I like to use open source and free ware. So it's ok for me to give my projects also for free.

Greets VPCoder

Pingu

I wonderd how much money I needed to spend on buying the parts for it, most of the things should be quite inexpensive but those microcontrollers could cost a bit, thats why I asked. I'd really be in your debt if I got your documentation, your schematics and the program you wrote for it though. ^^;;

Agentspikey95

i'd like to find out how to use my genny controller on my PC thru the serial port. will i need to write microcontroller software? i know the genny takes on/off logic, because i was able to use atari 2600 sticks on there.....
Why are you reading this?

Pingu

There are decoders availible for the megadrive controllers at least so you could hack a standard Pad if you make one of those decoders.

mdzafri

hello all,

VPCoder, i read your suggestion on using the PIC16F628 as the interface controller.  i am very interested in your project.   im currently trying to make a general decoder for the Playstation Controller to eventually control robots.  would it be possible for me to find out more information or is there any way for me to contact you?  thanks.  

Xeus

VPCoder

Hi there,

first of all, the part of the cost. Small PIC microcontrollers are really cheap. Look there on the Microchip (the manufacturer of PIC) Website:

http://asp.microchip.com/wwwParamChart/cha...&mid=&gdir=1010

And look there for PIC16F628(A) -< the A is just a die shrink
There should be anywhere in the table the costs of each controller. These cost's are not definitvely but give a direction of the price.

@mdzafri :
I will shortly register my account here in gamesx, then you could send me PM, because I don't wanna post my email to the public (fucking spam :angry: )
But as I posted before, the documentation is in german...it seems, I have to rewrite it in english (this becomes funny  :lol: )

You will hear from me
Greez VPCoder

VPCoder

I am registered now. If someone would contact me, send me a private message.

Greez VPCoder

Pingu

A little bump and wondering about the progress.

spidyr_designer

the ps2 controller is amazing
what output do you require?
need to drive motors, switch solenoids, drive relays?

pulse width control from the joystick outputs is a distinct possibility

ps2_realizer

hope i can help

there is a standalone chip which does this

it offers 14 digital outputs, representing the fourteen buttons on the handheld controller

the connection is simple and well documented (wire colours to chip pins)

the connector which mates to the ps2 controller is also available

the chips are $31 @ qty 1
and the connectors $14

spidyr_designer@yahoo.ca

VPCoder

Hi all,

>>A little bump and wondering about the progress.
Sorry Pingu for the long delay. I had to rewrite parts of the software. I've tested the new software today. The PIC gives you 10 Button Signals (TTL) : UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, RECTANGLE, TRIANGLE, CROSS, CIRCLE, L2 and R2.

I hope I can finish this project in the next days.

@ps2_realizer:
>>the chips are $31 @ qty 1

Wow, expencive thing :-D
My MicroChip PIC (also single chip) costs about 2 or 3$ and my software is free.

Greets VPCoder

Cryno

VPcoder
So is your project supposed to allow for the use of a keyboard and mouse instead of the controller?  

Hmmm, sorry Cryno,

I don't know what exactly you mean. Could you explain me, what exactly do you want to do ?

Greets VPCoder

Cryno

Sorry, let me try this again.  What is you project designed to do?  The first time I read it I thought you were intending to replace the Playstation controller with a keyboard and mouse as the interface to the console.  Then after reading it again I'm not quite sure if that's your intention.  Personally I am looking to find a way to replace the controller with a mouse and keyboard, thus the reason I thought that's what you were doing.  Wishful thinking I guess.

VPCoder

Hi Cryno,

it seems, you understood my project in the wrong way. What I do is to simulate the port of a PS Box and read out the buttons of a Sony Game Pad. This button signals are now accessable as 10 parallel signals. With this signals you can control a motor or anything similar, whatever you want.

Next step I do is to translate this button signals into a PS/2 protocol. Then I can access the mouse of my living room PC with the analouge sticks of my game pad. I also can produce keyboard codes for each button. This is useful if you like to play games through emulators like WinUAE, where you emulate the joystick with the keyboard.

Greets VPCoder

Cryno

I see, that's cool, good luck in getting it done :).