XRGB-3 with Japanese NeoGeo - some sync problem? how to solve?

Started by todosnk, August 21, 2010, 09:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

todosnk

Hello everyone!
I am new on this forum and really enjoy reading the posts and tons of information regarding various set ups.

Lately I bought one XRGB-3 which I just received a few days back. I am having some sync problems and hopefully someone could tell me how to fix these?

My setup:
-XRGB-3 with english firmware update
-NeoGeo AES with euro RGB cable and adaptor for GAME IN
-a SONY PC screen connected to the XRGB via VGA for B1 mode

the image looks great, I love these scanlines and the only issue I have is that on the top of the screen the image is wavy. Also when I turn AFC mode to 5 the screen is perfect, the edges and all are OK, but it blinks a lot and can hardly see anything. Only on AFC set to 0 the image is stable and sharp (no blinking), but then I see that the upper part of the screen the image is waving like in the photo I show below. When AFC is set up to 3 or 5 the image is OK.
So maybe it is something that has to do with AFC settings only?

Does anyone know how can I correct this? Is this normal or simply my PC monitor is unable to handle the image properly? I plan to buy a LCD TV shortly hopefully I will not have the same problem there .

Also, are there any recommended settings for this setup?

I have attached a screenshot to see the problem:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flamenquin2001/4910327010/#

Hopefully someone can guide me on this. I have been told to modify the Euro RGB cable to use a LM1881 chip inside, but I do not have any soldering skills and do not know how to do this. Is there any easier way (ie rewire the RGB cable? use an original Japanese RGB cable instead?) If so what are the steps I sould follow?

Thanks!

Alc

This is the most common problem with these units.

Is the XRGB firmware up to date? I think later revisions add manual sync tweaks.

todosnk

Hi Alc, thanks for the quick reply :).
I am currently using the 2.12 english firmware, I also upgraded the unit to use B1 mode. A strange thing is that setting AFC to 3 or 5 the image drawn is perfect, but then the screen starts blinking several times per second, so I dont have a stable image.
On B0 mode this all works fine, but then I loose the scanlines :(
I have read some posts where they state it could be a problem with the neogeo board not having sync on the a/v out, which then seems I would need to mod the neogeo to enable it. But I am not sure if this is a valid solution nor how to do it.
BTW, my NeoGeo is japanese model, 33X.XXX model. Not sure if this helps in anyway to solve this problem :)

Alc

I've seen other people recommend Extron sync separators for this kind of issue, though I don't have any experience myself.

Something like this:
http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=vss100&subtype=37&s=3

This is a bit out of my depth so I'd wait for others to chip in and confirm it'd work before spending any cash. They should be very cheap on ebay, anyway, if you can find them.

RGB32E

todosnk

thanks for the tips  ;)
is there any recommended item I could use? Now my only problem is that the image comes and goes, once or twice every 10 seconds for about a second.
Is there any specific device I could use? After spending cash on the XRGB-3, I wouldn't like to end up with an expensive model. As long as it gets rid of this black screens I will be happy :)

Hamburglar

Odd, seems XRGB-3 units have problems with many systems, my XRGB-2 can handle anything I throw at it (yes, with fewer options).  Are the XRGB-3 units really that problematic?

imparanoic

i own a xrgb 2 plus, no problems, previously own a xrgb2 non plus, even more prefect but has less functions, even tested out a very old xrgb1, still fine, very basic functions

then why has xrgb3 has quite a few issues.