PVM-1730QM image issues

Started by Alc, August 12, 2010, 12:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alc

So I picked up one of these for cheap yesterday. Mostly it's a lovely screen and it comes with a SCART socket so RGB is trivial for almost all of my consoles. Lovely.

There are a couple of minor problems. There is some screen burn (zero shapes at the top of the screen) which is a consequence of its use in a mixing studio. It's extremely faint, not a distraction (but presumably there's no easy fix). There appear to be some very slight geometry issues, but nothing I'd bother taking it apart to fix.

However, there is one issue that seems to be fairly serious. To give an example, a white dot on a black screen will leave a white trail going rightwards. Other colours do it to lesser degrees, but white to black is the most prominent, unsurprisingly. I'm guessing the guns don't power down quickly enough or something. This is actually noticeable and quite distracting. Is there a cure?

Thanks for any input.

RGB32E

Quote from: Alc on August 12, 2010, 12:42:02 AM
So I picked up one of these for cheap yesterday. Mostly it's a lovely screen and it comes with a SCART socket so RGB is trivial for almost all of my consoles. Lovely.

There are a couple of minor problems. There is some screen burn (zero shapes at the top of the screen) which is a consequence of its use in a mixing studio. It's extremely faint, not a distraction (but presumably there's no easy fix). There appear to be some very slight geometry issues, but nothing I'd bother taking it apart to fix.

However, there is one issue that seems to be fairly serious. To give an example, a white dot on a black screen will leave a white trail going rightwards. Other colours do it to lesser degrees, but white to black is the most prominent, unsurprisingly. I'm guessing the guns don't power down quickly enough or something. This is actually noticeable and quite distracting. Is there a cure?

Thanks for any input.

Purchasing a PVM that isn't worn out would be a good start! ;)

Alc

That's not particularly helpful.

RGB32E

Quote from: Alc on August 12, 2010, 10:41:28 PM
That's not particularly helpful.

Sorry, it's just that it sounds like your PVM needs to be refurbished (critical components need to be replaced).   :-\

Alc

Ok... which components? Is it just a case of throwing a few new caps in there or is it the guns or what?

RGB32E

Quote from: Alc on August 13, 2010, 12:49:50 AM
Ok... which components? Is it just a case of throwing a few new caps in there or is it the guns or what?

I'm not a TV repair man (yet ;) ), so you might check out other sources?

Alc

Thanks viletim. That's actually encouraging since my screen is doing this for all colours, so it may just need some caps swapping.

Interesting site, too.