Garbled NTSC Saturn! (resolved)

Started by Splashman, August 11, 2010, 05:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splashman

Hello GameSX!

I recently had my PAL Model 1 Saturn modded. Now I'm having real problems to a) make it display RGB video, and b) being able to see anything at all in NTSC mode.

My first tests were done with an RGB cable that was clearly faulty (Sync going to the Audio GND pin for example), so instead of trying to fix it I figured it would be easier to buy another one from a trustworthy seller... to no prevail, the new cable still had the same issues, as following.
I have multiple TVs in the house that should be capable of RGB and NTSC. I used an LCD TFT that can freely switch between video modes:

Saturn EUR mode: Shows a clear picture in composite and S-video, but "Invalid signal" for RGB.
Saturn US/JP mode: Completely garbled picture in composite and S-Video, also "Invalid signal" for RGB.

So here's the wiring of the new cable:

SCART PinSaturn Pin
22 (Audio R)
63 (Audio L)
77 (Blue)
84 (5V+)
116 (Green)
155 (Red)
16SCART 8, bridged by 80 ohm (I think)
17GND
18GND
208 (Composite)

Now I'm asking for help to get RGB out of it and why in the world the NTSC picture is so garbled.

Edit de jutsu: Well, never mind the RGB. Looks like the other TV doesn't like low-res RGB signals, but my 1084 does... however, the garbled NTSC picture is still present.

Issue resolved! Despite explicit instructions, the guy I gave the Saturn to mod attached the frequency switch to JP1/JP2 instead of pin 79 on the 315-xxxx chip.