help with connecting game systems to RGB Monitor

Started by Uzza83, February 22, 2004, 07:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uzza83

i need some help connecting game systems to a JC Penneys RGB Monitor/Receiver with RGB input it does have an RGB input connector which i dont know the pinouts of i think i have them but cant be sure about that this is a picture of the connector http://img18.photobucket.com/albums/v54/Uzza83/IMAG0035.jpg and the model is a JC Penneys 685-2220 so far i've only found two posts both by the same guy selling one with all documentation i've emailed him and have yet to get a reply thanks for any help you can provide

NFG

1. Punctuate

2. Punctuate

3. Use more punctuation.

4. That's a digital RGB port, it's useless to you.

Guest_Uzza83

1. FUCK!

2. FUCK! FUCK!

3. FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

4. ok next time i will.

thanks for the help

Sweater Fish Deluxe

Are you sure that's digital, Lawrence?  You're judging just by the connector or do you recognize this particular model?  The very first RGB monitor I ever had way back in 1993 or so was an old (even then) Sony Trinitron RGB monitor that had this exact same type of connector and that was definitely analog.

Since this was long before I knew about the Internet, I had to deduce (or is that induce?) both the monitors inputs and my Genesis and Jaguar's inputs by trial and error.  But, man, was it worth it.  I can still remember the moment when the attract screen from Lemmings on the Genesis finally looked right, I was in heaven.  There's no more dramatic upgrade than seeing your Genesis go from its horrible composite to crystal RGB.

Ah, AV memories...

...word is bondage...

Uzza83

hello Sweater Fish Deluxe :D i assume you are the same one from CV never met another one. anyway thats what i was thinking "digital rgb?" this machine is from 85/86 i didnt figure it to be digital i found one guy with documentation but hes being a dick and wont help me out, any recommendations on finding the pinout? stop by CV chat some time and maybe we can work this out i'd appreciate it greatly. </punctuation> i tried :P

NFG

Quotemonitor that had this exact same type of connector and that was definitely analog.
That connector's very common in Japan on older monitors.  It's always digital, thought that's not to say a monitor will only accept digital through that port.  I've never seen one that accepts analogue through here, but I usually see the digital port and avoid it like the plague.

This page is from the manual for a monitor I have here.  I haven't my good translating goggles on, but here's what I can tell you:

2. Red
3. Green
4. Blue

Sorry, that's all I've got at the moment.

Uzza83

well that looks like it any way i can test those pins to see if they have any sort of connection? like if i connect red on my genny to red on there should i have unsynced red on my screen or what? maybe we'll get this figured out :D

matt

Lawrence is right - that monitor does indeed use digital RGB, and is meant to be used with CGA computers.  I found one of them in the trash a couple months back, and did a little experimenting with it.  If you open it up, you'll find that the pins are labelled on the back side of the board, but that won't do you any good since digital RGB is useless.  It is probably possible to modify it to accept analog, but since I don't feel like helping you electrocute yourself, I'm not going to tell you how.

Be very, very careful if you see a monitor with an 8-pin EIAJ connector like that.  Sometimes there are monitors that do accept analog RGB (like the Sony one that's been mentioned).  However, these are few and far between.  More often, they're for digital RGB.  Most commonly, though, they're "VTR" connectors, which is really just a fancy composite plug that's used on professional video tape recorders - this has nothing to do with RGB in the first place.

Guest_Uzza83

how would i go about opening the back of the unit up? just the screws holding the rear of the set on or can i just remove the A/V panel?

Uzza83

well i just pulled the back off and the connector is soldered directly to a rear board holding the rest of the A/V inputs it seems well labled i thank you all a great deal for your help but how do you determine its digital? im a video n00b if you couldnt tell already :) well the pic Lawrence posted doesnt correspond to the pinout of my connector i believe its 6 7 and 8 that contain R G B then i have H V ~ and In

matt

Quotei thank you all a great deal for your help but how do you determine its digital? im a video n00b if you couldnt tell already :)
Because we said so.  Trust me - you will not be able to get this thing to work, especially since you are a "video noob".  It will be better worth your time to look for a new monitor that takes analog.

Uzza83

its true im a video n00b but regardless i'd like to learn how to tell the difference so i can better choose a monitor im pretty decent with electronics otherwise doing my own surface mount soldering on motherboards without a re-work station so its likely not beyond my skills

mr. newbie

crap i just got it thinking it would do rgb to.
should i just get rid of it?

NFG

I'd get rid of it if I were you.  It'll be more trouble than it's worth to get it playing the kind of RGB you want (if it's possible at all).