ACARD AEC-7720U SCSI-IDE Bridge and Compact Flash card

Started by JackLeather, August 05, 2010, 04:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackLeather

Just want to post my initial results...

It works!  ;D ;D ;D

The ACARD AEC-7720U is working with my CF adapter and CF card (same one from the R-IDSC-E/R thread) on my ACE HD (SASI).  i am using eidis' hard disk image.

Its still early days and i need to check stuff like DMA/PIO etc and if there are any issues with writing to the card. BTW i didnt need to supply separate power to the CF adapter.

X68000 ACE-HD, 4Mb RAM, ATX PSU (internal). Cyber Stick. Keyboard. Mouse. Monitor. ACARD AEC-7720U SCSI-IDE with 1Gb compact flash.

eidis

X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

JackLeather

Quote from: eidis on August 06, 2010, 05:50:46 PM
Is Thunder Blade working ? ;)

Eidis

Yes!

I will get time this weekened to give it a proper going over and will report back but the game of thunderblade i just had (its difficult) was perfect, and with my cyberstick finally!

Your hard drive image is excellent! I have seen x68k disks with a menu system controlled by the joystick do you know what this is or how to get it working?
X68000 ACE-HD, 4Mb RAM, ATX PSU (internal). Cyber Stick. Keyboard. Mouse. Monitor. ACARD AEC-7720U SCSI-IDE with 1Gb compact flash.

eidis

Glad to hear that everything ended well. :)

Could you give me a name of the disk image ? Perhaps I could adapt it to my image.

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

JackLeather

Quote from: eidis on August 07, 2010, 08:33:03 PM
Glad to hear that everything ended well. :)

Could you give me a name of the disk image ? Perhaps I could adapt it to my image.

Eidis

it is your disk image (isnt it?):

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:sxsi_disk_image_with_games_and_lots_of_mdx_files

this is the one i have on my compact flash and it includes Thunder blade!

eidis

yes, that is my image, but it is not controllable with joystick.

QuoteI have seen x68k disks with a menu system controlled by the joystick do you know what this is or how to get it working?

I was thinking about this one.

Eidis

JackLeather

Quote from: eidis on August 08, 2010, 12:08:51 AM
yes, that is my image, but it is not controllable with joystick.

QuoteI have seen x68k disks with a menu system controlled by the joystick do you know what this is or how to get it working?

I was thinking about this one.

Eidis

OK got you now!

its called DSHELL.X

Its on a few disk images (XDF). i found it on Otoko dama.

if you run it at the command line it comes back with a usage list in Japanese. Otoko dama starts it in the autoexec 'DSHELL OTOKO.DOC'. the doc file is displayed on screen when it runs. i cant see any mark-up in it but assume its down to the layout. NAME...FILE AND PATH etc.

can you understand it?

i have started a new thread on it here : http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4180.0

JackLeather

I have been using the ACARD AEC-7720U quite a bit over the weekend and all seems great.  :)

Details of working set up:

ACARD AEC-7720U
ACARD 2009 version 3.88

I have the jumpers set as follows:

JP1 (SCSI ID) = 1
JP2 (Terminator) = Closed
JP4 (Terminator Power) = Open

i have it teamed up with one of those generic CF<->IDE adapters and a SanDisk Ultra II 1Gb Compact Flash card.

i didn't format the CF card directly rather wrote the image eidis has kindly supplied straight on to it. i had already ran bootset. it just worked after that.

hope this helps someone else.

eidis

Could you please take pictures of your SCSI to IDE adaptors from both sides so I can add them to my tutorial ?

You can make a free photo gallery at http://foto.inbox.lv/

Eidis

JackLeather

Quote from: eidis on August 11, 2010, 10:37:23 PM
Could you please take pictures of your SCSI to IDE adaptors from both sides so I can add them to my tutorial ?

You can make a free photo gallery at http://foto.inbox.lv/

Eidis

Can you copy them from here;

eidis

Thanks !

Could you do the same for R-IDSC E/R ?

Eidis

JackLeather

eidis

I updated the Wiki:

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:hard_drive_on_sasi_machine

Once again thanks for the major contribution. We have just become less independent on ancient floppy drives ;)

Strangely all listed Acard AEC-7720U cards have dissapeared from eBay. I wonder why ? :D

Eidis

JackLeather

QuoteI updated the Wiki:

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:hard_drive_on_sasi_machine

nice work Eidis!

QuoteStrangely all listed Acard AEC-7720U cards have dissapeared from eBay. I wonder why ?

Yes i noticed that!

If you're reading this and got one then please post your results.