help! need tech assist

Started by ORTA, February 18, 2004, 02:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ORTA

I've got a white jap saturn w/ 21-64 pin chip & round power & reset buttons it's working properly before but now i think it's malfunctioning ( when you insert a cd it doesn't rotate ) & it's not modded in any ways. Based on my observation the spindle motor is not working ( the one where you stick your cd into )but the feed back motor which makes the lens move back & forth seems to be fine there's also a visible strong red laser on the lens. If somebody could give me any ideas to make it work properly again I'd appreciate it very gladly!!

NFG

Typically the motors never die, the most common reason the CD doesn't spin is that the lens doesn't sense the disc, because of dust or misalignment.  Take a Q-tip to the lense and swirl it around gently a few times.  If that doesn't solve it there's a mirror inside that can also become dusty.  Beyond that you're probably gonna have to replace it.

One other thing to try is spinning it manually (clockwise!) when it's trying to sense the disc, often times a moving disc will be sensed (and then the motor activated) where a stationary disc will not.

And, if nothing of this work, change the motor. Is uncommon, but possible. I had to do it with a MegaCD -this things broke A LOT- and be sure it's not a dificult task.

davidleeroth

QuoteAnd, if nothing of this work, change the motor. Is uncommon, but possible. I had to do it with a MegaCD -this things broke A LOT- and be sure it's not a dificult task.
It's easy on Mega CD but Saturn is a different beast.
If the motor is broken (and maybe something else) it's better to change
the whole CD drive or buy a new Saturn.

I have working drives but sending them to the other side of
the globe isn't cheap.

ORTA

Both motor isn't broken because I tested it out of the circuit and it"s both working properly, then i took a dc voltage test on the I.C. where the motors are connected the feed back motor has about 2-3 dc volts while the spindle doesn't have any. anyways I'll try the manual spinning again, I can't afford to buy another saturn I just wan't to revive this one,  I'll post again about hte progress ;)

ORTA

I've done the manual spinning & I've cleaned the lens inside out but apparently it is still not working maybe I'll just put it in the trash can, maybe the garbage man knows what to do with it I SURRENDER!!! :angry:  

AntiPasta

that would be a damn waste... I'd keep it in case you ever get a Saturn with a bad motherboard/cart slot... or how about transplanting a lens from another system and selling this one? White saturns tend to go for a lot more where I live.

Lesmot

Don't trash it! Such a sad and desperate thought, from a sad and desperate man? I don't know if this is common on Saturn consoles, but as far as other optical drives are concerned, it is. Well, ok not common, but whatever! The distance between the laser and disk can make a big difference in read errors. Sometimes the laser housing can become loose and drop a little, making it too far away from the disk. I've physically (carefully!) lifted up the rear of the housing, or lifted up the whole rail the laser runs back and forth on, fixing disk read errors, although only temporarily. Aslo, have you checked the pots on the board? I know they're glued to prevent this sorta thing, but the apoxy might have worn away, you never know. Sony doesn't apoxy any of their pots, causing disk read errors galore and a lot more money for Sony! Damn sensitive PS2!
Hey there, fancy pants!

To antipasta and lesmot, maybe I'll reconsider on not throwing it away I'll try the ideas you've given and I'll keep it posted thanks for the ideas I'll try it right away thanks! :blink:  

Saturn Lens

I have a good Saturn lens I can sell you. It came out of a round button US saturn and will work on the Japanese Saturn. If interested let me know. I also have a few Saturn boards. Of if you want to unload the White Saturn let me know.

crgrindele@verizon.net