Sony PVM that supports 25khz ?

Started by fcf59, April 07, 2010, 03:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcf59

Hello,

I 'm looking for a monitor (PVM and alike) to hook up to my supergun to run medium resolution arcade game (25khz). My supergun output the 4 signals straight from the PCB (RGB and sync).

I don''t want to buy an arcade monitor (no cab) ; I'd like an off the shelf monitor that I can safely tilt w/o touching any of the inside electronic.

I've been searching the net for PVM's  horizontal freq (monitor world  dot com) that would do 15khz and 25khz with no luck. Does anybody know good monitors like PVM  (not necessarily Sony) that would do the trick ?

thanks

RGB32E

Quote from: fcf59 on April 07, 2010, 03:59:20 PM
Hello,

I 'm looking for a monitor (PVM and alike) to hook up to my supergun to run medium resolution arcade game (25khz). My supergun output the 4 signals straight from the PCB (RGB and sync).

I don''t want to buy an arcade monitor (no cab) ; I'd like an off the shelf monitor that I can safely tilt w/o touching any of the inside electronic.

I've been searching the net for PVM's  horizontal freq (monitor world  dot com) that would do 15khz and 25khz with no luck. Does anybody know good monitors like PVM  (not necessarily Sony) that would do the trick ?

thanks

I haven't found a PVM or PGM that supports 24kHz.  Though the PGM-2950 has "EGA emulation" (e.g. medium resolution), so there's a slim chance 24kHz might work...  However, I think that the GBS-8220 would be what you're looking for, as it accepts 24kHz RGB.  I own a GBS-8220, but no medium rez arcade PCBs to test with, but this should be a solution.  There are other devices that will convert from 24kHz to 15kHz.  So, it would be easiest to get a converter (24 to 15, or 24 to 31+).

Midori

If one wanted you could also build your own 25 KHz monitor :-) You just need a 25 KHz monitor chassis, and a tube of course. But CRT tubes these days can be had for free.

Of course you'll need to know how to assemble it aswell, perhaps that is the main problem.

RGB32E

Quote from: Midori on April 08, 2010, 07:48:25 AM
If one wanted you could also build your own 25 KHz monitor :-) You just need a 25 KHz monitor chassis, and a tube of course. But CRT tubes these days can be had for free.

Of course you'll need to know how to assemble it aswell, perhaps that is the main problem.

Oh hey...  that reminds me... I need to start acquiring parts for my rocket ship so that I will be able to travel to the moon!

'tards never give up with the idea of building TVs and turning TVs into RGB monitors... :D if that was helpful for someone, they probably wouldn't be asking to begin with...  ::)

fcf59

Thank you very much for your helps guys. I think I m going to go with that GBS-8220. This looks like the best compromise.

Midori

Quote from: RGB32E on April 08, 2010, 09:34:43 AM'tards never give up with the idea of building TVs and turning TVs into RGB monitors... :D if that was helpful for someone, they probably wouldn't be asking to begin with...  ::)

To create a RGB input to a TV without one is not very trivial and not something I would sugest, you would most likely require extensive knowledge about the art or have a schematic for the chassis on the TV, most likely both.

But to connect a chassis to a tube is not very difficult, anyone could do it. It's just a simple matter of having a neck-board that fits the tube in most cases. Although if you are taking a CRT from a 15 KHz chassis and converting it to a 25 KHz one then you would perhaps need to change the Yoke, not that difficult either but you might have to adjust it for the new CRT(you probably have to adjust the yoke when you swap chassis boards regardless).

I would say that changing the chassis is easier than making a nice box to keep the completed monitor in, but then I am horrible with working with wood and such :-)

Doesn't some of the X68000 monitors accept 24 KHz by the way? Although they would have to be imported so they might not be very cheap after shipping.