RGB/SCART - Shaking Screen - Horizontal Drawing Issue

Started by Dreamstate, April 06, 2010, 11:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamstate

I have a SNES SCART Cable and a SCART to HDMI box.  I also have modified my N64 for RBG.  I am using the SCART to HDMI box with a Sega CDX as well.  Here is what I am finding and I am looking for some ideas.
1) Sega works great with a Cartridge, but a little shaking on the screen with a CD.  I am guessing some frequency interference?
2) The SNES/N64 both work, but I get bad horizontal line distortion with the solution.  The cable was fairly cheap and improperly wired initially.  I fixed the wiring, but I am wondering what might be causing the poor horizontal drawing.  Basically, to help describe it, graphics not in motion look fine, but if they move, I don't get a smooth movement, but a striated bunch of lines. 
3) Finally, some small shaking on the SNES/N64 solution as well.

Any advice would be appreciated ;D!

RGB32E

Quote from: Dreamstate on April 06, 2010, 11:57:50 PM
I have a SNES SCART Cable and a SCART to HDMI box.  I also have modified my N64 for RBG.  I am using the SCART to HDMI box with a Sega CDX as well.  Here is what I am finding and I am looking for some ideas.
1) Sega works great with a Cartridge, but a little shaking on the screen with a CD.  I am guessing some frequency interference?
2) The SNES/N64 both work, but I get bad horizontal line distortion with the solution.  The cable was fairly cheap and improperly wired initially.  I fixed the wiring, but I am wondering what might be causing the poor horizontal drawing.  Basically, to help describe it, graphics not in motion look fine, but if they move, I don't get a smooth movement, but a striated bunch of lines. 
3) Finally, some small shaking on the SNES/N64 solution as well.

Any advice would be appreciated ;D!

1. Return your SCART to HDMI box for a refund (or sell)
2. Purchase a XRGB-3 from Amazon Japan
3. Rewire your SCART RGB cables to JP21 pinout
4. Enjoy!!! ;)

Other than trying to fix the sync from the console end of things, it sounds like that convertor isn't tolerant to many of the weird timings many old school consoles and arcade boards output.  Consider the box a stepping stone to a XRGB-3.

Dreamstate

Thanks for the info.  I have suspected the HDMI box might not be the best but so few people had tried it and it was not too much.  Also, can you point me to what you are referring to for the JP21 Pinout?

RGB32E

Quote from: Dreamstate on April 07, 2010, 09:06:59 AM
Thanks for the info.  I have suspected the HDMI box might not be the best but so few people had tried it and it was not too much.  Also, can you point me to what you are referring to for the JP21 Pinout?

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-3_spec.htm

Scroll down to the section for the 21 pin (JP21)  "Game" input for exact pinouts for the XRGB-3.
21ピンRGBマルチ入力端子

There's also pinout data on the gamesx wiki:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:japanese_rgb-21