Connecting a ZX Spectrum (PAL) to an X68000 monitor

Started by Magic Knight, January 23, 2010, 09:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magic Knight

Here's a new one.

I want to use my ZX Spectrums on my X68000 monitor. At the moment it's connected via the normal composite leads, and it works ok but not great. It has RGB out, and supplies composite sync. Now, the X68000 monitor doesn't have a composite sync input, but talking to an expert on the Spectrum side, he thinks it might be possible. I need to make a cable with RGB output on one end (standard pin connector, easy to get) and X68000 RGB on the other. I've just bought one of these.

Simple question is, has anybody else done anything like this - connecting an old PAL computer to the X68000 monitor? Looking at the FM-Towns monitor input, I see that it has composite sync, so maybe I'll buy one of those and try it out. Any ideas?

emerald danjon

hello,i made a cable for use sharp x68k in a vga monitor ,and for use amiga 1200 in a sharp x68k monitor but never for one spectrum is interesting,

DB-15 connector,Sharp's X68000,pc 88........

1  Red    
2  Ground  
3  Green  
4  Ground  
5  Blue  
6  Ground  
7  Computer Data Present "c amarillo"
8  Ground  
10 audio l
11 audio r
12 ground
14 horizontal sync "c negro"
15 vertical sync "c blanco"
----------------------------------------------------spctrum +2 +3 rgb video out--------------------------------------
1-+12v
2-gnd
3-audio out
4-compositr sync
5-+12v
6-greem
7-red
8-blue
good luck knight

note:i think better try whitout +12,s :-\

papa_november

Build a SCART cable for the Spectrum(which model is it?), then build a SCART-to-JRGB-15 adapter.

The SCART-to-JRGB-15 adapter will need a sync splitter circuit. The diagrams and schematics for all of this should be on the wiki.

Magic Knight

Ok, I have an original 128 model and a +2. The one I want to use most is the 128, which uses this pinout:

1   Composite Video    75 ohm, 1.2V pk-pk
2   0 Volts DC
3   Bright Output
4   Composite Sync
5   Vertical Sync
6   Green
7   Red
8   Blue

That PDF was written by the guy I was in contact with. Another guy who makes RGB to SCART cables for the 128 was the one who made the cable I have, so I could get an RGB to SCART cable from him.

The first guy says I can try connecting composite sync to the horizontal sync on the X68000 end, that might work. The other problem then is the BRIGHT signal, which needs to be combined with each colour output.

emerald danjon

hello,sharp x68000 monitor have 4 video in,rca"audio video",rgb analog 8 pin ,rgb digital 8 pin,and the used for x68000 computer  15  pin ...maybe the most appropriate to connect spectrum is rgb analogic...and not the 15 pin,i not an expert  :'(