Looking to purchase an FM Towns, hoping someone on this forum can source one

Started by TheRogue, January 20, 2010, 04:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRogue

Hey guys, as you know my interest in classic computing is not confined to the X68000, and it has come time for me to add an FM Towns to my collection.  I could get one from Yahoo! Japan, but lately there has been a lack of anything but the original i386 model. I am looking to get one of the higher end 486/Pentium models like the Fresh, and I'm hoping one of you can source one for me. It would be a huge favour for me if you could.  I will pay what is required. Thanks so much.
Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his uniform dying in the sun. War, it's never been so much fun.

Magic Knight

Ok, I *might* be able to get one.

Have a look at this checklist, and let me know:

Would it have to be a Pentium model or would a 486/DX2(66MHz) do?
How much RAM would you want?
Presumably you need a hard drive?
You probably don't need a monitor?

TheRogue

Either Pentium or 486/DX2 will do, prefer pentium but can live with 486
As much ram as you can get but at least around 8MB
I don't NEED a hard drive as I do have many external SCSI drives around but if there was one included with TownsOS installed that would be nice
I don't need a monitor, between my regular LCD Panel, my 15KHz-to-31KHz converter, and my X68k monitor (when it is repaired) the monitor is a non-issue.  Thanks ALOT Magic Knight! By the way I just noticed your email about the X68k games, it ended up in my spam folder for some reason. I'd still like them if they're available but if you already sold them I can't blame you seeing as I didn't get back to you.  Thanks again!
Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his uniform dying in the sun. War, it's never been so much fun.

papa_november

I was under the impression that no Pentium-based FM-Towns machines were made.

TheRogue

There were quite a few pentium FM Towns machines, the later Fresh models were pentium, the HC53 was pentium, and the FMV-Towns were pentium as well.

By the way let me clarify what I want.  I don't want an FMV-Towns, as far as I know they are not fully compatible with the FM Towns standard. I would like a regular pentium FM Towns, but if the choice is between a 486DX2 FM Towns, or a pentium FMV-Towns I would choose the regular FM Towns.

Magic Knight

This is a nice table I use which details all of the various Towns models. http://siisise.net/spec.html
So many models... anyway, I'll have a look around for you.

I do still have some of those X68000 games, I sold some because I needed them gone. I still have these:
After Burner
Bomberman
Detana!! Twinbee
Dragon Buster
Dynamite Duke
Genocide 2
Marble Madness
Star Wars Attack on the Death Star (both disks faulty)
Super Street Fighter II (one disk faulty)

Let me know if you still want them. I'll probably also avail of your disk-writing service, for the few originals I couldn't make a backup of.  I worry every time I play Daimakaimura.