SCART cables, different pinouts

Started by TuZhao, February 08, 2004, 07:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TuZhao

I added a scart female plug to my arcade Hantarex monitor following the Saturn pinout. Now I was thinking that maybe I could use the monitor to play those DC games that won't run with the VGA box, but I found that the SCART end of their cables differ.
For example, the L and R audio pins are inverted (Saturn has L on the pin 2, while DC has the R on the pin 6), and the Saturn sync output is connected to the pin 16, while the DC's one is on the pin 20.
What's the use of the +5V pin in the SCART cable? Is it there just for VCRs and TVs?
And what about the audio? Who is right, DC or Saturn? My project is to wire a female stereo jack to the monitor's SCART end, but now I have to add an "inverter" switch to swap L and R channels whenever I play on the Saturn or on the DC :)
Proud Carmageddon player since 1997[/b]
I love shoot'em ups. I love arcade games. I love 2D games.

matt

I've seen this before - there seems to have been a large production run of Saturn scart cables like this.

First off, the GameSX Saturn A/V pinout diagram is wrong.  Pin 2 on the Saturn is supposed to be left audio, and pin 3 is right audio.  Probably, your Saturn's scart cable has the sound wired the same as the DC and you've misinterpreted it.

Also, some Saturn scart cables seem to have the composite sync wired up for a blanking signal instead of +5v like most do.  This is why the Saturn's sync pin is going to pin 16 on the scart cable.  Your TV is actually taking the sync from pin 20, which is wired to the Saturn's composite video output.

TuZhao

QuoteFirst off, the GameSX Saturn A/V pinout diagram is wrong.  Pin 2 on the Saturn is supposed to be left audio, and pin 3 is right audio.
I used the GameSX pinout pictures as a guide, indeed. I didn't ever think that they could be wrong, so I was blaming the SCART cable ;)

Thanks!
Proud Carmageddon player since 1997[/b]
I love shoot'em ups. I love arcade games. I love 2D games.

Darklegion

Why is the diagram still not fixed?  

Darklegion

Why is the diagram still not fixed?  

NFG

Why did you ask twice?  Why did you ask twice?

benzaldehyde

Darklegion