Trick to opening the case?

Started by Cloudschatze, September 12, 2009, 11:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloudschatze

Haven't posted here in some time...

So, I ended up selling the X68000 PRO around two years ago, and just today received a Super HD to replace it. Unlike the PRO, which worked fine on 110/120V, the Super worked for about five minutes, and then promptly shut itself off. Like some kind of idiot, I then powered it back on...

A small pop, and a puff of smoke later, I now need to repair/replace the power-supply. I'm hopefully optimistic that nothing else was damaged.

I'm stuck, however, trying to figure out how to remove the plastic side panel. Is there some sort of trick to this?

Magic Knight

It's hard, that's what I found. Unscrew the obvious screws and then basically pull hard. You'll think you're going to break the case, but eventually you should manage it. It took me ages to get mine off, I though there was a trick to it too, like I was missing something.

NFG

It's never easy, but what I found helps is holding the front panel straight.  It tends to bend as the hooks on the side panel pull it backwards.  If you hold it forward, the hooks can clear it more easily.

1. Hold the front panel straight
2. Push inward on the front edge of the side panel
3. pull the panel backwards

The worst part is that right under the edge you're trying to push inwards is a hard panel that prevents it from doing so.

Cloudschatze

Hi guys,

I appreciate the responses. Lawrence, I was able to get the panel off without breaking anything by following your suggestion.  :)

I disassembled the power-supply, and it looks like the only thing that actually "blew" was the fuse, now blackened. I'm considering the purchase a new fuse and step-down converter, with the intent of using the original power-supply (assuming all of the voltages check out). Good idea, or bad idea?

NFG

The voltages you used are probably not related to your system frying.  I have blown several (!!) X68000 units within seconds of plugging them in for the first time, those old PSUs are just unreliable.  The stepdown is absolutely not necessary, but a replacement power supply probably is.

Glad you got it open.  =)