snes to marty controller

Started by jetblue, September 07, 2009, 01:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetblue

Hi,i bought a fm towns marty recently but didnt come with a controller. I cant find one anywhere and saw on the gamesx wiki page controller thingy the pinout so i decided to make my own.

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:fm_towns_controller

The pinout is dirt simple like a master system controller,no multiplexer chip or 5v. The diagram on the gamesx main is missing the c button.

Decided to use a snes pad i had laying around. It was the 1 chip type of pcb so i just cut out the chip and soldered onto the traces according to the chips pinout. My only problem was the start and select buttons. The gamesx wiki page said it uses diodes for up and down pressed together for select and right and left together for start.
I tried a diode setup for this and got nothing. used 2 different types of diodes

and even reversed them with no effect. The clear diode is IN4 148  the other one says Z36 IN4002

See my crude drawing for an example of what i did:

Why cant i get this to work?
What im i doing wrong? is it the placement or the diodes im using?

I found a ghetto solution and just wired the select button with down so all i have to do is press up and select to get select and the start button is right so i just press left and press start for start:

If any marty owner that cant find a pad and wants one of these functional pads drop me a pm. If you provide the snes and sega controller's and pay return shipping il do it for free. if your wondering i cant do this with a sega controller because the A and B button share the same trace on the pcb so all il need is its cord :)

Thanks for any info :)  *is slightly electronics tarded*

NFG

My guess is the diodes aren't strictly necessary, but perhaps someone more knowledgable than me can confirm that.

Also, you said "The diagram on the gamesx main is missing the c button." There is no C button on most controllers.  The 2-button pad is the most common one.

ulao

Are you using the diodes unlike  your diagram suggests,   Do it like the towns_controller page suggested.. or make a better diagram so that one can help you better. Did you check your connection with an ohm meter? Make sure you get a short when the buttons is pressed.

l_oliveira

Quote from: Lawrence on September 07, 2009, 05:34:30 PM
My guess is the diodes aren't strictly necessary, but perhaps someone more knowledgable than me can confirm that.

The diodes are used to "generate" the two extra buttons (Start and Select ?)  at the top (on a Fm Towns controller, I presume the Marty uses the same pad) from the directionals.
So the diodes are there to prevent "undesired keystrokes" while the small buttons are pressed.

therealmindsett

Hey jetblue, that is too cool.....!  I have been looking for a way to play my FM Towns marty (the control's cord is too short, so i have to sit in front of the screen:P)   So to get it straight, you used a Sega Master System controller, and a Super Nintendo controller, and put them together to work on the FM towns??!

jetblue

Got a marty controller as a gift from a dear friend that got it off ebay uk and was gonna open it to get the resistor values to post on here to finally get the start and select working on the snes controller but noticed this:

Curious little sticker. Was fujitsu planning to release the marty here? Was this from like a beta test unit given to select gaijins to try out the hardware in san fran?
My imagination went wild. What do you guys think?

Can't open it now a screw is under the sticker and would destroy a good chunk of it  :(