8PDT Switches and TG16 Region Hack

Started by benzaldehyde, September 24, 2003, 07:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benzaldehyde

Hi all,

Yet another question about "fun" things technical. I'm interested in region modding my TG16, persuant to the plan laid out here:

http://joyce.eng.yale.edu/~bt/turbo/files/.../country.switch

I am however having trouble hunting down an 8PDT switch. Would anyone happen to know where to find one? At least where I don't have to buy 29 of them at once! Also, I am a little worried about the safety of this modification. This isn't like a CD-based system where one just gets a "You can't load this, you archetypal bastard!" I would be worried about damaging the system, because rewiring the HuCard port is necessary. So another question is, if the switch is misaligned for the region of a game,  does anyone know if the TG would explode? I had also considered using two 4PDT switches, but then I wonder what would happen if one or both of those switches were set improperly. (zzzzt... BANG!  :(  )  What would anyone recommend? Thanks!

PS- Thank you, Waltarzar! That RGB amp works wonderfully with the TG16. It's quite a revelation after playing through that damn RF connection the entire time!

NFG

I've never seen an 8-pole switch, but I hear they ARE available.  If you've got space you might consider a rotary switch, like a printer or serial select box.  If you wire up two fours and one's switched the wrong way you'll not damage anything, it just won't work.

Guest_Benzaldehyde

Thanks for the info. I think I may have an idea for this.

acem77

http://www.massystems.com/TD-Mod.html

check this mod out this will do what you wanted to do.
i use roms now on a backup device and change the rom to the mode i need. i have loaded super grafx roms on my usa duo.
all you get are the sound and music but cool.

benzaldehyde

Ah, yes! That's what I had been thinking about. However, I was going to expand on Lawrence's switchless Saturn mod by using two 74157 ICs to switch the 8 lines. I will now do some more research, though, as your's may be the better route. Thanks.

NFG

the 74157  mod won't work (I looked into it) because you can't 'float' the cartridge port.  When the PCE/TG isn't accessing the cartridge it disables it and the I/O ports 'float', they're at neither +5v or GND, they're invisible to the system.  You can't do that with the '157, it's not a tri-state device.  

L.

matt

A quick & easy way to get 8PDT functionality is to buy a switch with 8 poles but more than 2 positions (I've seen 8p4t ones around a lot), and make the mounting hole small enough so the slider can't move past the second position.