Looking to get into X68K and purchase a machine

Started by TheRogue, June 25, 2009, 04:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRogue

Hey guys,

I'm setting up a classic computer museum in Vancouver, BC, Canada, and I have long been interested in acquiring an X68K machine, the higher end the better.  Is there anyone around who will sell me one?  I am not looking for a discount I know I will have to pay several hundred US dollars and I don't mind that at all.  What happened to NFG Game Sales.  He said he was moving 4 years ago and the store is still closed. What's the deal with that?

Conrad
Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his uniform dying in the sun. War, it's never been so much fun.

NFG

I moved and because of that the store is closed.  It's hard to open up again when the supply of interesting gear in Australia is, basically, zero.  I had never intended to re-open, sorry if you had that impression.

If you want the best of the X68000 line, I can still source them from Japan.  A top-end X68030 with perhaps an '060 or RedZone option would be the target.  If you don't want balls-out extreme, a regular 'top end' system would  an XVI or '030.  These are still a step above the regular X68k, with 16Mhz (instead of 10) and the 030 processor respectively.  Avoid the compacts since they have hard-to-use 3.5" drives.

TheRogue

I would want to go absolutely balls out on this.  I'm a student and it would take me maybe 2 months or so to put the cash together but not much longer then that.  How much for an X68030 with either of those options you mentioned?  I'm going to PM you with my email address so we can discuss this privately.
Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his uniform dying in the sun. War, it's never been so much fun.

NFG

An X68030 would be somewhere around $1,100 CAD,  near as I can tell, plus shipping and handling.  Full size tower, original box and docs, kb, mouse, cables etc.

TheRogue

I would like the monitor as well, how much extra would that be?

NFG

Monitors are prolly $150-200, but shipping will double that amount.  Triple that if you want the somewhat rare 21" model.

papa_november

NFG

That's pretty much the going rate in Japan, with a few dollars for the person re-selling it to the West.  I predicted above $1100 CAD, which works out to $950 USD.  The one you linked sold for $1050, which makes me pretty accurate indeed.  =)

Magic Knight

papa_november

We still have no specifics on what those incompatibilities are.

Magic Knight

The guy who sold me my machine also sold me some games, all of which he tested on his X68030, so I've listed those that work and those that don't below.

Also, some guy has a list of working and non-working games on this site: http://sai.cside.tv/mycom/x68k/vs060.html

It's a bit confusing though, as he says Street Fighter II' doesn't work on a 030, but the game itself says it does. Another good source of information is of course this well known resource:
http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~kikux68k/x68k_game_top.html

Patches were published in Oh!X for some of the games.

I've added those games to the list below for those who can't read Japanese.

These are said to work on a X68030:
Akumajou Dracula
Bubble Bobble
Butasan
Chuka Taisen
Daimakaimura
Dig Dug/Dig Dug II
Dragon Buster
Garou Densetsu Special
Geograph Seal
Hishouzame
Kyuukyoku Tiger
Libble Rabble
Naious
Nemesis '90 Kai
Pacland
RC Robot Construction
Street Fighter II'
Super Real Mahjong PII & PIII
Super Street Fighter II
Thunderforce II
Viewpoint

These are said NOT to work on a X68030:
Fairyland Story
Final Fight
Gemini Wing
Marchen Maze
Strider
Super Hang On
Thunderblade
Xenon 2

Not being able to play Fairyland Story, Final Fight, and Strider was enough to convince me to go for the XVI instead (although I have all three original pcbs!)

kwyjibo

Wow, is that true? I thought that the x68030 was fully backwards compatible...