Additional LEDs on SNES

Started by bankshot, June 23, 2009, 04:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bankshot

I'm doing mostly comestic mods to an NTSC SNES (because they're ugly as hell) and I'd like to add LEDs inside the cartridge slot to shine up while the system is on. I have absolutely no idea how to go about doing this. Any suggestions?

As a sidenote - I was looking at putting 5mm Ultraviolet LEDs in the cartridge slot, think this would be detrimental to the casing on games?

Drakon

nice I want to see that in action

phreak97

I used to have a UV led as my snes power led, I hadnt even thought of the plastic breaking down.. I havnt noticed any problems, but I possibly only game it a few hours of play. they look awesome, human eyes cant make sense of it, it's a huge effort to focus on the light when it's on, you just see a blurry area.

panzeroceania

I did not make this but this is awesome and might be in line with what you have in mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmtiLpopevs

you can try to contact him although he is german and doesn't know a lot of english so it may be difficult but worth a shot.

jdtheretro

But the human eye can't see uv. Mabye the leds also shine light in the near-uv spectrum ???
But yea, it'll probably do something to the carts, as far as the plastic casing, at least.

Kirurishii

Quote from: jdtheretro on December 18, 2009, 04:33:13 AM
But the human eye can't see uv. Mabye the leds also shine light in the near-uv spectrum ???
But yea, it'll probably do something to the carts, as far as the plastic casing, at least.

These UV LEDS are pretty much the same as the LEDs used in remote controls. You'll see them shine up when you use a digital camera, your cell phone camera for instance. I use this method to check if the batteries, when a remote ain't working properly.

As for damage to the cart, it'll be not more or less when you use visible coloured leds, it's a cold component, the light isn't as bright as, let's say, the sun, so damage is minimal at worst.

localheureux

Quote from: panzeroceania on September 03, 2009, 06:34:56 PM
I did not make this but this is awesome and might be in line with what you have in mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmtiLpopevs

you can try to contact him although he is german and doesn't know a lot of english so it may be difficult but worth a shot.

Yeah-ssss ... so beautiful mod, especially the illuminated logo... I love it !!