N64 NTSC-US/JAP; SNES NTSC-US/JAP; NES NTSC-US; GENESIS with PAL AC Adaptors

Started by simonbelmont2, June 18, 2009, 08:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonbelmont2

Somebody know if the PAL ac adapter work on the N64 NTSC-US and the PAL ac adapter work on the SNES NTSC-US?
A friend of mine sayd that the PAL ac adapter work on N64 NTSC-US without a problem.
The problem is with the PAL ac adapter on the SNES NTSC-US because you must change the socket to have the same socket with the PAL ac adapter. After that he sayd will work.
What are your opinions about this?

Thanks!

NFG

The connector INSIDE the N64 is the same for all regions.  I have a PAL power supply on my NTSC-J machine now, and I'm pretty sure I've use my J adaptor on my US machine before.

Link83

Yep, the N64 is easy because you can just use an official N64 power adaptor from your own country on any region N64, it doesnt matter what country the N64 console comes from as all N64's have the same power requirements and power connectors at the console end, the power adaptor for your country just regulates your mains power to the same voltages all N64's need.

The SNES is totally different though, a PAL SNES requires 9V AC 1.3A, whereas the US SNES requires 10V DC 850mA, so it isnt just the plug that is different. Most people who want to use a US SNES in Europe use a Mega Drive 1 power supply which should be 10V DC, and then make a small adaptor so it fits the US SNES power socket. Theres a guide here:-
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/snes-power.htm

simonbelmont2

Link83, how about the NTSC-JAP SNES? My friend told me he put the adapter from his PAL SNES and it work.
He lied or he told the truth?
Thanks!

Link83

He may be telling the truth, I have heard of people doing that but it is not good for the JPN Super Famicom.

The Super Famicom is meant to have a 10V DC 850mA input, the same as the US SNES but using a different sized power connector. Most people in Europe using a SFC just use a Mega Drive 1 power supply and you dont even need to use an adaptor for the SFC as the power connector is the same size (As mentioned in the link in my previous post)

If he is using a PAL SNES power supply with alternating current (AC) instead of direct current (DC) then theres a good chance he will be getting some interference on screen or even doing damage to the console. I wouldnt be surprised if he blows the fuse in the SFC at some point, and I certainly wouldnt recommend doing it.

simonbelmont2

What about the NES NTSC-US will work with the PAL AC adaptor?
By the way, thank both of you for the quick reply.

Link83

I 'think' the US NES requires 9v AC 1.3A, which is the same as the PAL NES and PAL SNES power requirement, but im not entirely sure as I dont own a US NES.  I do know that the JPN Famicom is different to both of them.

If nobody else knows/replies then your best bet is just to check the label on the bottom of the console which will tell you all the power requirements, and the adaptors usually have the power outputs marked on them aswell. This way you can match them and make sure they are correct  :)

Just remember to check the Voltage, if its AC or DC, and if its DC what the polarity of the plug is  ;)

simonbelmont2

Link83 do you know if the power adaptor from Master System II will work on SNES NTSC-US/JAP?
I used it on my Sega Megadrive I console.
Here is the specification:

Model No.3008-18
AC Adaptor For Use
With Master System II
INPUT: 220V - 50 Hz
OUTPUT: 10V - 0.5A

Thanks!

Link83

It might, but its not really up to the task as that power adaptor is only outputting 500mA (0.5A) and the US SNES/JPN SFC needs 850mA (0.85A)

Also, dont forget to check the plug polarity (Centre negative or Centre Positive)
Theres some good info/picture about plug polarity here:-
http://www.accesscomms.com.au/Reference/polarity.htm

Also check if the power supply outputs AC or DC:-

Alternating Current (AC) symbol

Direct Current (DC) symbol

I already know that the Master System uses Centre Negative and that its DC aswell because the Master System power supply uses the DC symbol between the V and A ratings you gave. Its all correct but its just not really powerful enough for the US SNES/JPN SFC. It needs to have 850mA or more to be suitable.

simonbelmont2

I look and is Direct Current (DC) symbol and have centre negative "+ © -".
So, it will work?
Thanks!

Link83

As I said, it might work, but its not really powerful enough...its up to you really but if you are planning on getting a JPN SFC why not just get a MegaDrive 1 power supply and be done with it? Mega Drive power supplies are pretty cheap on eBay.

simonbelmont2

I understand. Thank you very much for the informations.
I think I will exchange it with the Sega Megadrive I adaptor.

simonbelmont2

By the way the Sega Genesis console work with the Megadrive AC adaptor?

Thanks!

l_oliveira

Mega Drive = Sega Genesis (same chips, same board same everything, but some pits of paint on the external casing and a set of jumpers inside that set the region.)

simonbelmont2

I didn't know about this. Thank you very much L_oliveira for the information :D.

simonbelmont2

Today I receive the sega genesis console but I'm a little worried about the ac adaptor. I want to put my ac adaptor megadrive on my genesis console.
The problem is with the voltages... On my sega genesis it say 9V 1.2A and my ac adaptor megadrive it say 10V 1.2A.
It will work?
Thanks!

l_oliveira

Will work fine as long the center of the tip is negative. The model 1 Genesis/Mega Drive have protection diodes so if you put an polarity inverted plug it will just not power on.
Warning: Not all models have diode protection. The SEGA-CD/MEGA-CD for example will blow the input fuse if you plug an inverted polarity power supply.

The MD/Genesis will work with 10v perfectly as long the power supply can supply enough power for it. Give it a try.

simonbelmont2

I've try and is working. I think I will make a list for the rest of the people to know what ac adaptors  work/don't work on the pal/ntsc consoles.

simonbelmont2

Does anyone know if the n64 ntsc ac adapter work on the the n64 pal console? (abou the ac adapter: if you live in US it's simple; but if you live in EU you will need Stepdown Transformer 230V to 110V)

NFG

All the N64 power adaptors have the same output power, so get one for your region no matter where the console's from.