RGB from Gameboy Color screens?

Started by zedrein, June 03, 2009, 02:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zedrein

I was tinkerin' with my old Gameboy Color the other day and got to thinking: What would a Genesis or SNES RGB signal look like running on that little 3 inch screen? I know alot of people use the old PS1 LCD screen as a separate monitor for their legacy systems, but all the mods I've found only use the standard composite video input and it's a 640x480 screen whereas the older systems use a lower resolution, so in theory a lower resolution screen would be more suitable. If this can be or has been done, I'd love to see the results!  Also, if anyone has some video mods to showcase in general, this is the place!

Thanks as always for your patience!

EDIT: I suppose the Gameboy Advance screen could be a more suitable alternative. Is there RGB available from it?

zedrein

Just imagine the glory of RGB on a neat little display like that.

zedrein

Apparently I am making an ass outta' myself again...

NFG

You certainly are!  ;)

The GBC/GBA screens use a custom digital format that is, as far as we know, unique to those screens.  There ain't nothin' that'll plug straight in and work.  The only systems that have RGB inputs on the screens are PSone (as you mentioned), Nomad and TG Express. 

Also, IMHO, the GBC screen is pretty much rubbish, with impossibly poor contrast compared to the others I mentioned. 

zedrein

Fantastic! Thanks for the help, Lawrence! I never would have thought that the GBC used a digital RGB signal!