News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

X68000 Fixed

Started by Broken, February 10, 2009, 03:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broken

Hi I finally got another Sharp (not sure if any 3rd party ones are available?) floppy drive unit and got it fitted and it works ok. Before one out of my two drives was dead on arrival when I tested it. I tried everything from drive cleaners to trying the translated japanese guide to cleaning your drive with silicone gel. Nothing worked and hasn't for about 2 years until I got my newest drive. The silicone gel was even hard to find and expensive as well as the drive cleaners being a pain in the ass to get being the bigger older floppies. Guess PC floppies have been down and just about legacy obsolete for a bit let alone those things. In the Uk anyone who came across those probably remembered them from the BBC game days...

Anyway my main point of this post was that I remember reading on this forum I think that if your X68000 power supply fails or whatever it can effect the floppies and knacker those drives as well? I know you Lawrence will probably know a bit (or a lot) about this and have put new power supplies in some 68k machines from what I remember. I think my power supply is an original 68k one and I've heard (probably from Lawrence again) that these can be unreliable. Does anyone recommend I change the power supply? Not sure of the correct size, spec etc and if they're readily available? I'm in the Uk so probably not.

Anything or points to any previous posts would be greatly appreciated. I'll also have another check myself from the post headings.

Pity my copies of Final Fight, Strider and Ghouls and Ghosts are in another location when I needed to check them out with the fixed machine. I had them all together at first but that was when I discovered one of the drives was bust so couldn't check them. I checked a few games but they were single disk games and the only ones I could try before.

NFG

I'm not aware of any correlation between flaky X68 power supplies and failing drives.  In my experience, and it's happened 3x, the systems will work brilliantly until suddenly there's no power, and after the PSU is replaced the drives continue working brilliantly.

papa_november

So you had the broken drive replaced with one pulled from another X68000? That can't have been cheap. Don't toss the dead drive, as it will almost certainly have useable donor parts (see this thread).

Endymion

No, he did not say that. He said that when the power supply died, everything else died as well, replace the power supply and everything else works again--including the floppy drives.

Magic Knight

Hungkuen, what model of X68000 do you have? My X68000 XVI has a power supply from an X68030 which the seller installed, and they're far more reliable than the older X68000 versions, or so he tells me.