NTSC vs. NTSC-J

Started by zedrein, January 27, 2009, 12:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zedrein

As it pertains to video game consoles, what will be some differences between Japanese consoles and their American counterparts?

The SNES for example: will the resolution be different on the Super Famicom than from the Super Nintendo? I know in PAL regions there are different resolutions (I believe more vertical height)

I make this thread because I'd like to someday plug my American electronics (primarily game consoles) into Japanese televisions via the Japanese 21-pin RGB connector. Have any of you all tried this? and if so, what have been your experiences?

P.S. Do Japanese tv's have RCA inputs, or just simply the 21-pin RGB and D-terminal connections?

phreak97

theres no diffierence that i'm aware of, i'm pretty sure the J or U is just to differentiate between sales regions for the games. most game consoles have exactly the same video section between japan and america.

zedrein

Oh that's slaptastic! I sort of figured as well but I wanted to make sure that the resolution wasn't different--say, can you direct me to the pinouts for the Japanese versions of the Nintendo consoles (SNES, N64, Gamecube and Wii)? I think the pinouts for those consoles is different over there.

Link83

All the Nintendo consoles you listed have the same pinouts as the US versions (Although there may be some pins on the Japanese Wii that are only used for the Japanese D-Terminal cable) See here under 'Nintendo' for more info:-
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:av_pinouts
Only PAL (European) Nintendo consoles have slightly different pinouts to their NTSC counterparts, and sometimes support different video modes (Such as RGB only on PAL Gamecube and Wii, and S-Video instead on NTSC Gamecube and Wii) However the link above should give you all the info you need  :)

zedrein

Thanks friend! It's good to know that there is no difference in resolution or pinout between the US and Japanese Nintendo consoles--just the language obviously. Say, have you ever plugged any of your American consoles into a Japanese or multi-system television using the 21-pin RGB lead? I'd like to know if it's a worthy investment to purchase a multi-system set because my Commodore 1084 monitor is garbage and I haven't had luck in making a cable anyway.