News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

2 defective PS2

Started by NeWmAn, January 20, 2009, 03:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeWmAn

Hello,
Is there a known problem that causes freezing on early JPN PS2? ???
My SCHP-15000 does that, but it seems absolutely random... Sometimes it happens a few seconds after powering on and sometimes a few minutes after loading a game.
The problem doesn't seem to be linked to overheating as the fan is working normally, and the more it gets hot, the more stable it gets.
Maybe it's caused by a defect in the manufacturing process like the XBox360? Does anybody know more?

I have also a problem with a SCHP-50004: this one (according to the owner) has suddenly stopped to load games.
I've measured the resistance of the coils and one is ~2 Ohm, so AFAIK, I need to change the pick-up.
Should I change the LA too or if it is safe to keep using it as it is?
Thanks. 

l_oliveira

Freezing problems ?
Let me tell you how I ruined an SCPH-10000 unit once...

I ran it for a HALF HOUR without the top cover. It did overheat and cracked the solders on the connection of the EE to the GS chip (the GIF or Graphics InterFace  BUS)

I managed to repair the unit again, but it cost me a lot of time re-flowing the solder on all of the resistors one by one...

About the 50k unit, if the tracking coil went that low on impedance (should be 5ohm) it probably means the unit was actually used while the coil was already shorted. The LA6507 is probably already fried, too.

It's outputs use bipolar transistors with latch up protection with diodes. So to check if any of the output drivers are blown, just put set the tester on diode test gauge, put the positive probe of your tester on the GND and the negative probe on the four output pins from the coils driver. If any of the four pins measure infinite (they should measure like if they were diodes) the LA6507 chip is blown.

NeWmAn

Thanks Leonard! I've checked the outputs of the LA6508 and it seems to be fine!  :)

QuoteIt did overheat and cracked the solders on the connection of the EE to the GS chip (the GIF or Graphics InterFace  BUS)

Did that provoke the same random freezings that I'm experiencing on my SCHP-15000?

l_oliveira

Yes. It did and it was a pain to repair. I was running it without the top cover because I was trying to repair the DVD drive (as usual the laser were worn out)

NeWmAn

The LA checked fine with the multimeter, but the PS2 kept NOT reading. I've removed it and installed one taken from a dead PS2 and now it's working! ;D

Quote from: l_oliveira on January 23, 2009, 02:56:54 AM
I managed to repair the unit again, but it cost me a lot of time re-flowing the solder on all of the resistors one by one...

I've re-flowed (?) the resistor packs with connection between the GS and EE, on both sides of the PCB.
I've also tested the continuity on the resistor packs on the solder side: the vias below the 2 big chips seem connected, but so far no result, it still freezes.

l_oliveira

I did it with a normal soldering iron and lead(solder). not a hot air workstation....

Btw that unit is so old that it uses normal 60/40% solder. You don't need to re-flow the BGA chips.

Also there is two kinds of freezing:

Freezing aways on the same place on games = bad RD-RAM chip

Random freezing = cold soldering (re-flow helps only on this case ...)

ken_cinder

I'm pulling the CXM4000R's off the two SCPH-39001's I have, would he be able to use the RDRAM off the boards I have if it's a RAM problem?
If so, I'll gladly give them away, they're otherwise going in the garbage.

l_oliveira

These chips (CXM4000) require i2C initialization (commands) to operate ... I doubt they will be usable for anything without that initialization.

The 10000 has different parts on it's  video output circuit. refer to the earliest schematics, you will see an RGB/Component encoder and a composite/svideo encoder (they call it digital encoder).

Only the digital encoder is macrovision capable and that's what caused the DVD industry massive complaints against the 1st generation PS2 console ... :)

Random information ftw lol

NeWmAn

The freezings I have are completely random and occur anytime, as soon as the unit is switched on.
This machine has been heavily used: there was plenty of dust inside but not too much to obstruct the flow of cooling air; the fan works and the only thing that looks suspicious is a bit of rusted areas in the metal shielding.
I've used a soldering iron on all the resistor packs between the GS and EE, on both sides of the PCB but without any change :(
I don't have the  tools or the experience to work on the BGA chips  :'(

QuoteThese chips (CXM4000) require i2C initialization (commands) to operate ... I doubt they will be usable for anything without that initialization.

To use that chip one would have to provide the input video in digital format, right? Or does it accept also analog?

OT. On this kind of machines (SCHP-10000~18000)  is the BB navigator software automatically recognized and booted (as on the 30000+ series), or does it have to be installed in a memory card a-la DVD player?

l_oliveira

It requires a piece of software "システムドライバー" (System Driver, 1.7MiB) to be installed on the memory card. Any HDD utility disc (provided that it's a original disc) will install it if it detects a model that requires it.

The said file contains a updated ROM OSD (1.10/1.20) file and IRX drivers allowing the "unfinished" system software on them to load the 2.00 OSD (HDD OSD) from the hard disk.

The Emotion Engine chip (CXD9542GB, same one you see on the TOOL) has connections to the IOP, too ...

The EE>GS link is refered to as "GIF" (Graphics InterFace) and the EE>IOP link is known as "SIF" (System InterFace). I'd say you could try to solder the SIF too.

A good test would be try to play PS1 games in the unit and see *how* it crashes... It's possible that the processor crashing is the IOP, too.

There's a 32 bit EDO ram chip close to the USB port that sometimes have problems too (Usually it's either a Toshiba or Samsung chip.) It's the same chip used as CPU ram on the early PS-ONE and some late models of the Playstation 1 consoles.

ken_cinder

Do either of you want these 2 39001 motherboards? I just ask that you cover shipping, otherwise I'm tossing them straight in the trash, sick of them sitting here.

NeWmAn

I've done again all the resistor packs, most of the parts below the 2 big chips, the DRAM and the system ROM but nothing has changed.
Currently I can't do the PS1 tests because I haven't got a compatible laser, so I'm giving up.

QuoteDo either of you want these 2 39001 motherboards?

I already have a few dead boards  :'( , so I don't need them.

l_oliveira

I could use them, but I don't think it's worth the hassle of mailing them to Brazil so ... I'll pass :)

I guess I could fix if I had a chance to thinker with them a bit  :3

Too bad I live in the middle of the "jungle" lol