Types of capacitors/electrical components

Started by zedrein, December 17, 2008, 02:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zedrein

Axial capacitors: Is there any difference besides how the leads are mounted on the cap?--I think it would be more practical for me to buy this type of cap rather than radial because they would fit better into my connectors.

Does there exist any type of capacitor where I wouldn't have to solder wires onto the legs? My thinking is that perhaps there is a type of capacitor that is especially suitable for connecting wires to.

What are the differences (as they pertain to video cable making) between ceramic, aluminum, and metal capacitors?

Thanks for the help!

viletim

Quote from: zedrein on December 17, 2008, 02:35:02 PM
Axial capacitors: Is there any difference besides how the leads are mounted on the cap?--I think it would be more practical for me to buy this type of cap rather than radial because they would fit better into my connectors.

No, that's the only difference. I don't see axial caps used very often, pretty much only in loudspeaker crossovers.

Does there exist any type of capacitor where I wouldn't have to solder wires onto the legs? My thinking is that perhaps there is a type of capacitor that is especially suitable for connecting wires to.

Solder is the best electrical connection you can get...

What are the differences (as they pertain to video cable making) between ceramic, aluminum, and metal capacitors?

Caps in cables are usually only for coupling (removing unwanted DC). They're usually pretty big to pass low frequency signals,  > 100µ. This limits the choice to electrolytic types (tantalum, aluminium) because the other dialetric types have much lower capacatance to size ratio.

zedrein

Terrific resource as usual viletim--thanks for the help!

Link83

Sorry to slightly bump this thread but I have a quick question myself about Capacitors, and it just sems the perfect oppurtunity to ask - what is the most common type or surface mount capacitors used in games consoles?

...also, what type of surface mount resistors are commonly used aswell? (carbon , metal film)

Im particularly asking as I wasnt to make a PAL N64 S-Video cable but need to use a 68nF (0.068uF) Capacitor on the Chroma line, so just wondered what type was probably originally used.

I realise Viletim said that capacitors on video lines are usually Aluminium or Tantalum, but in this case the value is so small I dont seem to be able to buy either type in 68nF. Im hazarding a guess that it was probably a Ceramic capacitor so an MLCC type would be a suitable replacement? (For reference its the capacitor at location 'C14' on an NTSC N64)

Thanks in advance  :)

budo-ka

Quote from: Link83 on December 23, 2008, 08:51:30 AM
Sorry to slightly bump this thread but I have a quick question myself about Capacitors, and it just sems the perfect oppurtunity to ask - what is the most common type or surface mount capacitors used in games consoles?

...also, what type of surface mount resistors are commonly used aswell? (carbon , metal film)

Im particularly asking as I wasnt to make a PAL N64 S-Video cable but need to use a 68nF (0.068uF) Capacitor on the Chroma line, so just wondered what type was probably originally used.

I realise Viletim said that capacitors on video lines are usually Aluminium or Tantalum, but in this case the value is so small I dont seem to be able to buy either type in 68nF. Im hazarding a guess that it was probably a Ceramic capacitor so an MLCC type would be a suitable replacement? (For reference its the capacitor at location 'C14' on an NTSC N64)

Thanks in advance  :)

Usually the cheaper/smaller is the better for the industry.

For capacitors you will find ceramic multi layer most of the time. Only if you need more µF or in case of a particular application (like power supply) the aluminum or tantalum will be welcome. Now you can find ceramic cap that goes up to 47µF, sometime higher.
There is a slight trade-off for the axial cap; the equivalent series inductance will be higher due to the longer lead. But this is only noticeable in HF applications not for low speed analog video like RGB signals.
Concerning the resistor; thick film resistors are the best (cheaper) choice. Thin film are usually used in precision applications.

In short; use the cheaper and available one from your shop.

here is some good reading : http://www.planetanalog.com/features/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=0BL5HJUC3UJKUQSNDLRCKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=199905522
it's about bypass capacitor but the explanations can be exported for other applications.

Bye

Link83

Thanks very much for all the info and the link Budo-ka - it really helped answer all my questions  :)