Mega Drive 2/32X RGB?

Started by TW2k4, January 23, 2004, 10:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TW2k4

Does the PAL Megadrive 2/ CD/ 32X output RGB? Im interested in getting a cable for it, and i'm not that wise up to this stuff.

Yes it does. I got a cable from gamechoiceclub and it works great.  

CC_Devil

TW2k4

I bought a cable, but I think i've been Had, and it's not true-RGB, for one it does not Auto switch my TV like other ones do.. is there any way to tell if it is or not by opening the connector?

PAL Genesis 2 (Mega Drive 2) do output RGB with the official RGB cable, but 99% of the time the cable needs some modding (cutting two things on the cable PCB).

Vertigo

QuoteI bought a cable, but I think i've been Had, and it's not true-RGB, for one it does not Auto switch my TV like other ones do.. is there any way to tell if it is or not by opening the connector?
It doesn't have to autoswitch your TV to be outputting RGB, that just means there's no voltage on the switching pin (16 iirc).
Just unscrewn the end and open it up and see which pins are connected and compare to a SCART pinout, it's the easiest way.
The difference between composite and RGB on a Megadrive is pretty stark, so if you can't tell whether you're getting RGB out of it you might as well spend your time on other pursuits ;)
Also, make sure your TV is in RGB mode if it has options in the menu for that.
Usually if you press the picture info button (on Panasonics it's the little square with a + inside) you'll get the channel number and it'll say RGB if that's what you're getting.