SCART users...

Started by zedrein, November 27, 2008, 01:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zedrein

Does the "composite video" pin #20 work as sync for RGB, or do I have to get a LM1881 to strip the video from the sync info?

Let's say that I have to use a sync seperator, would I have to bring out both the horizontal and vertical lines to my monitors connector, or just the horizontal?

If the wire doesn't need to be modified, will I just stick it on the horizontal sync line on my monitor connector?

Thanks for the help!

NFG

If you're feeding it into a SCART or TV device, it'll be fine with composite video.  You only need to strip it if you're feeding a monitor.

Generally speaking, any unit with a TV tuner (ie: TV monitor combo) will be fine with it, as will any PAL-origin SCART device, since the SCART standard does not require SYNC.  Computer monitors or any device for which you have had to modify the cable probably will require the LM1881.

zedrein

Quote from: Lawrence on November 27, 2008, 02:45:02 PM
If you're feeding it into a SCART or TV device, it'll be fine with composite video.  You only need to strip it if you're feeding a monitor.

Generally speaking, any unit with a TV tuner (ie: TV monitor combo) will be fine with it, as will any PAL-origin SCART device, since the SCART standard does not require SYNC.  Computer monitors or any device for which you have had to modify the cable probably will require the LM1881.

Ok, good to know. Basically Lawrence I think I'm doing a very basic RGB style setup: I bought a original model Commodore 1084 (it has a DIN-6 connector) and I've just been able to pick up a SNES SCART cable (SNES is the only system I am experimenting right now) and my caps are on their way. Like I say, just a real basic setup, I ordered a LM1881 from ebay just now so hopefull I'll get that in a timely manner....Crap, I wish I lived in a country that had displays where I could just buy a premade compatible connector!

Drakon

Quote from: zedrein on November 27, 2008, 04:49:42 PM

Ok, good to know. Basically Lawrence I think I'm doing a very basic RGB style setup: I bought a original model Commodore 1084 (it has a DIN-6 connector) and I've just been able to pick up a SNES SCART cable (SNES is the only system I am experimenting right now) and my caps are on their way. Like I say, just a real basic setup, I ordered a LM1881 from ebay just now so hopefull I'll get that in a timely manner....Crap, I wish I lived in a country that had displays where I could just buy a premade compatible connector!

if it's a US or Japanese snes you're gonna have a fun time.  To get my US snes and super famicom working over scart I had to wire a 100uf 10v capacitor to the sync line from the system (for some reason there's extra voltage on the sync pin of the snes/sfc).  To save myself a bit of money I wired the sync into the sync pin of the system instead of the composite video pin.  It's also good to add the same type of capacitors to the rgb lines on this model otherwise you get this annoying buzz noise on the audio lines.  Of course I'm not wiring my system into an actual scart tv (I live in canada, no such thing here really).  Instead I wired my systems into a rgb to s-video encoder.  The scart cable I bought came with the capacitors on the rgb lines.  But it had sync wired into composite video instead of the sync pin (and it said it's meant for super famicom....pfft).  So I had to rewire my cable and add an extra capacitor.  However the PAL snes DOESN'T have a sync pin on the AV out....but if you're using a pal snes then I assume you live in a place where you can find a scart television anywhere (which is great because a scart tv automatically strips sync out of composite video).  Also PAL snes's apparently don't have the extra voltage on the rgb lines that the US/japanese model have.

Tiido Priimägi

Time to add caps on my RGB lines then...I have video noise.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

zedrein

Quote from: Drakon on November 27, 2008, 11:11:45 PM
Quote from: zedrein on November 27, 2008, 04:49:42 PM

if it's a US or Japanese snes you're gonna have a fun time.  To get my US snes and super famicom working over scart I had to wire a 100uf 10v capacitor to the sync line from the system (for some reason there's extra voltage on the sync pin of the snes/sfc).  To save myself a bit of money I wired the sync into the sync pin of the system instead of the composite video pin.  It's also good to add the same type of capacitors to the rgb lines on this model otherwise you get this annoying buzz noise on the audio lines.  Of course I'm not wiring my system into an actual scart tv (I live in canada, no such thing here really).  Instead I wired my systems into a rgb to s-video encoder.  The scart cable I bought came with the capacitors on the rgb lines.  But it had sync wired into composite video instead of the sync pin (and it said it's meant for super famicom....pfft).  So I had to rewire my cable and add an extra capacitor.  However the PAL snes DOESN'T have a sync pin on the AV out....but if you're using a pal snes then I assume you live in a place where you can find a scart television anywhere (which is great because a scart tv automatically strips sync out of composite video).  Also PAL snes's apparently don't have the extra voltage on the rgb lines that the US/japanese model have.

It would be nice just to be able to change the pin at the SNES connector to the composite sync, but there is a waxy shield down there, so I can't move any wires around.

1.) NTSC SNES

2.) American Commodore 1084 (DIN 6 for video, RCA for Audio)

3.) Euro SNES SCART connector

This is what I have to work with.

cgm

Quote from: zedrein on November 27, 2008, 01:29:57 PM
Does the "composite video" pin #20 work as sync for RGB, or do I have to get a LM1881 to strip the video from the sync info?

Let's say that I have to use a sync seperator, would I have to bring out both the horizontal and vertical lines to my monitors connector, or just the horizontal?

If the wire doesn't need to be modified, will I just stick it on the horizontal sync line on my monitor connector?

Thanks for the help!

This how-to might be of help and uses the composite sync out vs. composite video, just change the monitor pinouts to what your monitor requires: http://homepage.mac.com/arekkusu/GS/snesrgb.html

Drakon

Quote from: zedrein on November 28, 2008, 06:13:25 AM
It would be nice just to be able to change the pin at the SNES connector to the composite sync, but there is a waxy shield down there, so I can't move any wires around.

1.) NTSC SNES

2.) American Commodore 1084 (DIN 6 for video, RCA for Audio)

3.) Euro SNES SCART connector

This is what I have to work with.

oh here's what I did.  I bought one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-NINTENDO-SNES-FULL-RGB-SCART-LEAD-CABLE-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ370121509274QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Video_Game_Accessories?hash=item370121509274&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

if you look at the description the guy says it works on a snes ANYWHERE.  So I figured I would take my chances and it's a pretty good cable.  It has ALL pins on the multi-av port for the snes.  I had to CAREFULLY take the plastic molding off around the multiAV section and expose where the wires connect to the pins.  Then I simply rewired the "composite video" wire into the composite sync pin with a quick soldering job.  Now if you do what I suggest here then you'll have to buy a 100uf 10v capacitor and add it to the composite sync wire.  Because without doing that causes it not to work on my rig (composite sync pin has extra voltage going through it.....wtf).  Not the easiest cable I've ever mucked around with but it was cheap (like....10$ shipped) and since it uses all the pins you can pretty much wire it whichever way you like.  I recommend you do what I did and add the capacitor on the scart end of the cable inside the housing for the scart plug.  This cable already came with capacitors on the rgb lines.  If you want you can take one of the capacitors off of the rgb lines and add it to the composite sync line (if you're too cheap to buy a capacitor).  But then you'll get this weird buzzing noise caused by the extra voltage on the rgb lines (yes the US snes and super famicom have extra voltage going through the red, green, blue, AND composite sync lines)