NES RGB mod with switchable PPU?

Started by xttl, November 23, 2008, 08:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xttl

Hi, I recently (finally) got an AV Famicom, and I've had a RC2C03B chip sitting on my shelves for a year or two. Needless to say, I would be most interested in the RGB mod for this AV Famicom. I've got a question first, though:

Is it possible to get the thing working with both PPUs switchable at will?

I wouldn't really like it if I had to hunt for another reasonably priced AV Famicom to play the few games which don't really work on the RGB PPU (white screen) or look like crap... A friend of mine who's more into electronics suggested simply connecting the PPUs parallel (RGB PPU on top of the original) and using the /CE line to switch between them. Would that work? If not, would the composite PPU work anymore if I put it into the installed socket after the RGB mod? Does it matter that the pins which are for red, green and blue on the RGB PPU wouldn't be connected to GND anymore? (there are more GND pins than these three anyway) This way I could at least switch between them sometimes, albeit with a little more effort than simply throwing a switch.

acem77

short answer is yes. i did it. all i did was piggy back the ppus and switched power to the ppu i need to be active.
I did notice a bit more of the vertical bar noise.
this has been noticed normally by other people before its just a bit more intence.