Strider and Final Fight won't boot

Started by Andrew, October 29, 2008, 04:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

I got a copy of Final Fight and Strider for the Sharp X68000 today. Unfortunately both games do not run on my system. I have a Sharp X68000 Expert, which should be equipped with 2 MB RAM out of the box. I also have Dracula which runs fine on my system.

The seller told me that I have to set the amount of memory to 12288 kbytes with the HumanOS disk. Unfortunately I don't have that disk. Can I run the games anyway?

These are two screenshots with the error messages which occur when I insert the discs:

Magic Knight

Quote from: Andrew on October 29, 2008, 04:48:11 AM
I got a copy of Final Fight and Strider for the Sharp X68000 today. Unfortunately both games do not run on my system. I have a Sharp X68000 Expert, which should be equipped with 2 MB RAM out of the box. I also have Dracula which runs fine on my system.

The seller told me that I have to set the amount of memory to 12288 kbytes with the HumanOS disk. Unfortunately I don't have that disk. Can I run the games anyway?

The messages tell you what the seller told you, that you need to run the SWITCH program from the HumanOS disk and set the amount of main memory, presumably to 2MB if that's what you have. There's no way you can run the games. Akumajou Dracula can run with only 1MB of memory.

You need to get the HumanOS system disk, maybe someone can send you a copy, what country are you in?

Computolio

HumanOS is freely available. To put it back on a real disk, find an old Windows 98 machine, install a 5.25 drive in it and run XFloppy.

Andrew

I'm from Germany. Unfortunately I don't have an old PC or a 5,25 Floppy. A friend has an old Win98 computer, but I 'm not sure if he has a 5.25 drive. I will ask him.

Where can I download HumanOS and XFloppy?

Andrew

ok thank you. I've got an old 5,25" floppy and I will get some 1,2MB HD discs tomorrow.

What do I have to type in HumanOS to set the amount of main memory?

Andrew

ok, got a HumanOS disk. Both games are working fine now.

Unfortunately I cannot see anything because my monitor cannot display 15khz. How can I switch the games to 31khz?

Computolio

Strider:

will pop the System disk out, put in Disk B
button 1
down
button 1
down 4 times
left/right to select resolution

Final Fight:

button 1
down
button 1
down 5 times

Ghouls N' Ghosts:

button 1
down
button 1
down 4 times

Yes, you have to do the whole thing blind. Hopefully, someone will someday patch these and other games so they boot in VGA mode by default.

Andrew

It works, thanks for pointing this out. However I had to push button 2 on my controller.

Unfortunately I have a new problem. The Sharp looses its 2 MB RAM setting when the system is off power for a while. So I have to boot with the HumanOS disk first every day when I would like to play a 2 MB game. That's a bit time-consuming.

Is it possible to save the setting permanently even when the power cord is disconnected for a while?

Computolio

Your SRAM battery is dead. You'll have to replace it. This will involve taking the bottom of the machine apart and a little bit of soldering. There's a guide (in japanese of course) here.

Andrew

Quote from: Computolio on November 08, 2008, 06:47:03 AM

Your SRAM battery is dead. You'll have to replace it. This will involve taking the bottom of the machine apart and a little bit of soldering. There's a guide (in japanese of course) here.

oh no  :-[ My Sharp X68000 is more work than fun.

btw. I've got Super Hang On today. According to this gamelist it does support 31khz:
http://www4.ocn.ne.jp/~debiddo/mygames.htm

Do you know how to switch to 31khz ? It would be very nice if you could help me again :)

Magic Knight

Quote from: Andrew on November 15, 2008, 07:49:32 AM
oh no  :-[ My Sharp X68000 is more work than fun.

btw. I've got Super Hang On today. According to this gamelist it does support 31khz:
http://www4.ocn.ne.jp/~debiddo/mygames.htm

Do you know how to switch to 31khz ? It would be very nice if you could help me again :)

You have to hold down the HELP key as soon as the game starts booting up, and the display will change to 31kHz for you.

Andrew