Combined power supply for Genesis, 32x, Sega CD?

Started by airthrow, October 22, 2008, 06:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airthrow

Has anyone ever done this?

I'm wondering if it's possible to buy a power supply that could support the genny and it's add ons, possibly installing it inside the case of one of them if it's small enough so I wouldn't need a wall-wart.  Everyone knows how stupid and annoying it is to have so many AC adaptors.

I'm not horribly familiar with AC power supplies, whenever I have used power supplies it is either battery powered, or simple +5 voltages in arcade cabinets. 

Is it possible, and also, are there anythings I need to know to do it?

kendrick

If you want to build something like this, you should model it on the CDX or Wondermega power supplies. The consolidated adapter that powers a Genesis/Megadrive and a CD unit all in one platform produces 9 volts DC at about 1.7 amps. Compare this to the standard Genesis 2 adapter, which gives you about 9.5 volts at 800 ma, or the Genesis 3 adapter that produces 10 volts at about 380 ma.

In general, put in the right voltage and have way more amperage than you need. Theoretically, a 9 volt/3 amp adapter should power all three devices you specify, but unless you do real load testing there's no good way to tell. You would still have to run a separate power connection unless you

Tiido Priimägi

You can power all 3 from a single European AC brick... but everytime CD motors start spinning you get a loud humm in the sound, which means not enough power.... I tried with a ATX PSU and it didn't seem to change anything either...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)