Where can I buy a 68010?

Started by airthrow, October 16, 2008, 06:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airthrow

I am trying to make the ultimate Genesis/CD/32x combo.  I have already done the stereo mod, JPN/US mod, Pal and NTSC, and RGB. 

I would rather do the 68010 than overclock.  I see people have done it but whenever i see one on ebay they are ridiculously expensive... is there a cheaper source for this processor that I just don't know about?

Any help would be great!

kendrick

If I recall correctly, the common way to get a 68010 is to scavenge it from an old AT&T or NCR workstation. Motorola doesn't even make 68xxx series chips any more, as all the designs are licensed out to other fabricators. You might be able to get one of those UNIX terminals for cheaper than you would just the chip, but I can't promise that (or tell you what specific hardware to go hunting for.)

Tiido Priimägi

Having 68010 in the system makes Sonic3 unplayable so I have not thought of replacing the CPU... 2x CPUs would sound nice, but too much soldering and I don't think its gonna be too easy to swap the CPUs with a single switch unless there is a global enable line which I highly doubt there is.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

airthrow

Quote from: kendrick on October 19, 2008, 04:16:10 AM
If I recall correctly, the common way to get a 68010 is to scavenge it from an old AT&T or NCR workstation. Motorola doesn't even make 68xxx series chips any more, as all the designs are licensed out to other fabricators. You might be able to get one of those UNIX terminals for cheaper than you would just the chip, but I can't promise that (or tell you what specific hardware to go hunting for.)

Hmmm, I am willing to do that, any specific model numbers that you know of?

I dunno how so many people have done this mod but there isn't an easy source for these chips...

Computolio

68010s are a lot more more useful in Amigas anyway.

airthrow

I managed to snag one for cheap off of ebay.  Hopefully it works properly, it appears one of the pins got re-soldered on at some point.  I'm wondering if there's a cheap regular source for these.

I'm also thinking that it would be really cool to have three chips in one MD.  A stock one, an overclocked 68k, and then a 68010, and then set up some sort of switch to switch between them (not turned on, of course). 

Tiido Priimägi

you can overclock an existing one... no need for any extra... having a higer rated MHz CPU could yeld in better overclockability, but its the rest of the system (particulary VDP) not being able to keep up not the CPU failing due to speed.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)