where to find a C64 AV mod write up and NEX question

Started by horror77, October 11, 2008, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

horror77

does anyone know if there is a write up on how to AV jack the Commodore 64?

Also I have a NEX that died awhile ago and I dont know whats wrong with it but it just wont power up. Should I just check the power transistor in it and rule that out? what would you do to troubleshoot it?

Cheers

kendrick

Eleven seconds with the leading search engine produced this link for Commdore 64 pinout:

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Commodore_C128/C64C_Video

For any game console unit that does not power up, you should start with the AC adapter. Exchange it for a known good unit and make sure that it's not the failed component. If you don't have a spare, read the specifications off of the adapter casing and produce an equivalent voltage, amperage and polarity with the correct connector from a universal adapter or a bench power supply. Once you eliminate the external AC adapter as a failure point then you should proceed to internal components, but not before.

horror77

thanks for your speedy reply. I have seen that pin out but mine is the regular C64 and not the C64C. Is this pin out for the dattaset port on this system on the back side
http://www.vidgame.net/COMMODOR/C64.html

Seems like there is only one out video which uses the RF. Thanks again and sorry for asking such simple questions

viletim

If you ever need a pinout for something, head over to http://www.hardwarebook.info first. If in the unlikely event they don't have it then you can try to try your luck with a leading spam engine.

horror77

Thanks for the site. It states under the C64 page that it is mainly pulled from Wiki anyways but I like how this site is. Im more confused now than ever.

Under video it says:
5 PIN DIN 180° (DIN41524) FEMALE at the Computer, but the only 5 PIN DIN I can find happens to be the socket I use for the 1541 disk drive. I wish they would be more specific in which one it is. Please let me know if you happen to know.

Wiki states...

8-pin DIN connector containing composite video output, separate Y/C outputs and sound input/output. Beware that this is the 270° (horseshoe) version of the plug, not the 360° circular version. Also note that some early C64 units used a 5-pin DIN connector that omitted the C output.[24]

Hojo_Norem

Quote from: horror77 on October 12, 2008, 02:17:11 AM
Under video it says:
5 PIN DIN 180° (DIN41524) FEMALE at the Computer, but the only 5 PIN DIN I can find happens to be the socket I use for the 1541 disk drive. I wish they would be more specific in which one it is. Please let me know if you happen to know.

Sorry for putting my 2p worth in, but the Serial port on the C64 is a 6 pin din.  The video port is the 4th socket from the RIGHT viewed from the back (or the left din socket, with the right one being the 6 pin serial port).  The very early model 64s have a 5 pin socket.  Later breadbox models have the 8 pin socket as do the 64c models.

Hope this helps
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

viletim

Quote from: horror77 on October 12, 2008, 02:17:11 AM
Thanks for the site. It states under the C64 page that it is mainly pulled from Wiki anyways but I like how this site is. Im more confused now than ever.

I'm sure that's not true. The hardware book has been around since the early days of the WWW, long before Wikipedia was ever conceived. It's the place which all the other pinouts websites (technick.net, pinouts.ru, etc) rip off - complete with errors.

Under video it says:

Wiki states...

8-pin DIN connector containing composite video output, separate Y/C outputs and sound input/output. Beware that this is the 270° (horseshoe) version of the plug, not the 360° circular version. Also note that some early C64 units used a 5-pin DIN connector that omitted the C output.[24]

You cannot find either an 8 or 5 pin DIN connector on the back of your C64?