Don't have to mod console?

Started by zedrein, October 04, 2008, 04:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zedrein

OK, I've read the Video and RGB primer about ten times, and from what I've gathered I don't have to add a adapter to my SNES?! I can simply buy the SCART cable, lob off the 21 pin connector and add the right adapter to my monitor?! Is this true?

I thought for sure I HAD to add the DB9 connector to my console then suck out the right kind of signal straight from the board!

Someone please clarify

viletim

You need to make an electrical connection between your game system and your monitor for the relevant signals. You can add lots of sockets, make adaptors, solder wires directly, what ever suits you.

Some hints:

RGB SCART cables are available for most consoles. You can buy them from web-shops or Ebay merchants.

Some consoles require some extra electronic components in the path of the video signals to look their best. These components are included in the afformentioned SCART cables. If you make your own cables you'll have to include the components yourself. See
http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm#snes

SCART doesn't carry composite sync which is required by your monitor. If you use one of these cables you can derive a composite sync signal off the composite video signal with a LM1881 IC.

Stop creating a new topic for each post, you're making a mess of the place. Use the reply button instead.

zedrein

OK then, I noticed that the 21-pin Japanese SCART lookalike has sync on pin 9, would that be a good alternative?

It has the pinouts for RGB (and they are all shielded) sync, +5v, and ground (plus audio outs) that would be all I need right?

zedrein

Just bought this cable:

http://www.ztnetstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/257

Now this is the SCART version right? I mean it says SCART, but there always seems to be some confusion. Now if it's the actual SCART and not Japanese then I still need to get the LM1881 right?

Drakon

about that whole jazz with scart not connecting console sync.  Instead of getting a LM1881 IC.  I just rewired the composite video pin of my scart cable directly into the composite sync pin of my system.  So I lost the composite video option (oh no whatever shall I do) and gained perfect sync just with a simple splicing of wires.

kendrick

Drakon's solution does work with many SCART-capable television units. However, not all TVs have a built-in sync extractor on that line. If you can't get the appropriate specifications for your TV, test first before you wire anything permanently.

viletim

Quote from: Drakon on October 05, 2008, 10:15:04 PM
about that whole jazz with scart not connecting console sync.  Instead of getting a LM1881 IC.  I just rewired the composite video pin of my scart cable directly into the composite sync pin of my system.  So I lost the composite video option (oh no whatever shall I do) and gained perfect sync just with a simple splicing of wires.

If the console end of cable is not moulded and has all the pins in place, then yes, that's the easier way to get composite sync.

All my RGB SCART cables have moulded plugs but I don't have one for the SNES...

Drakon

Quote from: kendrick on October 06, 2008, 12:12:43 AM
Drakon's solution does work with many SCART-capable television units. However, not all TVs have a built-in sync extractor on that line. If you can't get the appropriate specifications for your TV, test first before you wire anything permanently.

well also keep in mind I'm not using a scart tv.  I'm using a cheap rgbs to s-video adapter because my tv does s-video at best.  However I can't get this trick to work on the ntsc snes.

*edit* got it to work with a capacitor on the sync line