Saturn 3D to Jaguar controller mod

Started by atreyu187, July 25, 2008, 11:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atreyu187

Does anyone know how to go about this as I want to make this pad work for tempest 2000. Thanks and good day!!

ulao

The two are very similar in that each set has one pin that is pulled low to read the buttons within that set on 2 (or 6) other pins. The Jag has more buttons thus needing more selection pins.

There is a guy ( Toodles ) that is working on something that may help you.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=131230

In short he takes in a controller and allows it to work on another system. I think your best bet is to gut out a saturn and put in the jag guts.

This may also be of some help

http://emu-docs.org/Jaguar/Controllers/jagcont.html

If you are up for some avr programming then look in to raphnet. His software is easy to understand and would work for you to design something to do this.

NFG

Has _anyone_ worked out how the 3D pad works?  As far as I'm aware it's still a giant mystery.

atreyu187

Nope still a mystery, but I would be willing to donate one for research...

ulao

I just bought mine of ebay and will start analyzing its protocol. I was looking for a donation for some time, but finally found one for 7 bucks of ebay. I'll report my findings.

kendrick

I would like to suggest that similar research be done against the Saturn Mission stick. The analog input on the Saturn supports two analog pads, but the 3D controller only ever had one analog pad. The Mission stick has inputs for two analog sticks and provide undocumented support for two sticks in games like Panzer Dragoon Zwei. I've always thought that being able to examine those traces would be informative.

NFG

I'd be willing to bet these analogue controllers use a far more complicated protocol to communicate inputs to the console.  My guess is it's more akin to USB (with its complicated protocols) than the normal Saturn pad (Which uses off the shelf parts). 

I'm not expecting easy or immediate success, though of course I wish you the best of luck. 

ulao

Yes the device is serialized like a usb I would agree. I dont think its going to be any more difficult then the n64 or game cube but certainly not the same. I have a few minds be hind this venture, and expect success, though yes it could be some time..

Saturn Mission stick., holly crap... Can any one donate this, I really cant find that one..

NFG

Are you sure the Saturn analogue stick could support TWO sticks?  I thought the two inputs on the base of the mission stick were only for putting the stick on the right or left side of the base.

Has anyone actually tried it?

ken_cinder

http://moeroshop.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2639

1 for sale there, though I sure as hell wouldn't pay that much for a used controller.

Oh and read this, it confirms that you can indeed have 2 sticks plugged into the base unit.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.games.video.sega/2005-09/msg00065.html

ulao

thx, IJTF_Cinder.. OUCH!! pricey...

Chuplayer

Quote from: Lawrence on July 28, 2008, 12:12:33 PM
Are you sure the Saturn analogue stick could support TWO sticks?  I thought the two inputs on the base of the mission stick were only for putting the stick on the right or left side of the base.

Has anyone actually tried it?

I haven't tried it, but the two triggers in the 3D pad are analog just like the Dreamcast triggers. You can feather the tachometer in Daytona USA CCE. It's easy to see before a race starts on any non-rolling start track.

If the triggers are two axes, you could drop them for another analog stick. But if the undocumented spec is two analog sticks plus two analog triggers, that would be even more nuts.

But if the two triggers are axes, that about the digital L and R buttons on normal controllers? Could they have just put them above or below the triggers? Or maybe the digital L and R buttons aren't digital at all but rather treated as digital while they're actually analog inputs that go from big resistance to no resistance instantly?