PSX Memory Card Problem?

Started by mrgrim333, June 06, 2008, 10:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrgrim333

Ok, let me start by saying I followed this...

Ok now, I got everything setup right, as far as I know.
But when I run Memory Card Captor Sukura, when I try to read the card, the retries just fly though the roof.

What's the problem?

kendrick

What operating system are you running? You should be using something with direct hardware access, like DOS 6.0 or Windows 95. You may not get predictable results with Windows XP or any guest emulation package because hardware timing will not be accurate enough.

mrgrim333

Yeah, I'm running XP.
Well what can I do to modify the circuit to make this work?

I've made my own memory card adapter, kinda like the one found on http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/psx_cardmgr/psx_cardmgr_en.php

I made it out of a hard drive cable.
Everything works though.
I already have a psx to usb controller adapter I got from radioshack, so I don't need the wiring for that.

kendrick

You don't modify the circuit, you switch operating systems. Short of that, if you're stuck using Windows XP you have to use a PS3 memory card adapter (with the USB connector) to read cards, since that unit has a built-in clock. Obviously, that setup will need different software.

Waterbury

Quote from: kendrick on June 06, 2008, 05:32:27 PM
You don't modify the circuit, you switch operating systems. Short of that, if you're stuck using Windows XP you have to use a PS3 memory card adapter (with the USB connector) to read cards, since that unit has a built-in clock. Obviously, that setup will need different software.

The PS3 Adapter will work on Windows?? Is there any software that it will work with?! I've been wondering about this.

Also Windows XP will hold the data lines of the parallel port high until software properly takes over the port. I know because I run discolitez pro, parallel is a pain in the ass via XP.

kendrick

I posted some external links about the Windows drivers for the PS3/USB memory card adapter here:

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2992.0

Note that PS2 memory cards can't be read due to the MagicGate encryption, as Lawrence observed. But using this interface to read from and to write to PS1 memory cards seems to be perfectly operable.

Tiido Priimägi

XP doesn't let programs access hardware directly so you probably need some direct I/O enabling program. I use UserPort, but I've heard of PortTalk also...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

ulao

have you look at

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/psx_cardmgr/psx_cardmgr_en.php

He tends to be good at expressing os limmitations, none of which I see. I see he added a regulator, but dont see how that would change much. Worth a shot, I do lots of project based off his avr designs. The guy knows his stuff.

l_oliveira

There's a consideration I'd like to add to this thread:

Fake Playstation memory cards are quite common nowadays and it can be hard to tell it from a real one.
Fake Playstation memory cards use 5V NOR flash memories and you can't make 5V out of 3.3V
So, these require 8V on the 8V line of the connector to work.

This is the same reason why these cards fail to work on the new PS2 consoles (SCPH-75000 or newer)
Sony removed the connection of the pin on the memory card slot to the 8V power source.