News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Broken Xbox PSU

Started by Codeman, May 20, 2008, 01:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Codeman

I just got a beat-up Xbox with a broken PSU, probably due to the dead roaches I found inside! xD
It simply doesnt power up

I never opened a Xbox so im not quite familiar with the hardware.
Upon first inspection I failed to find any fuse, does the Xbox's PSU have any?

Also if the PSU is really damaged is it possible to test the system with a regular PC ATX PSU(since it looks like it uses the same connector)?

NeWmAn

Quote from: Codeman on May 20, 2008, 01:43:02 AM
Upon first inspection I failed to find any fuse, does the Xbox's PSU have any?
Yes, I've seen PSUs with the glass type or the "plastic black cilinder" type.

Also if the PSU is really damaged is it possible to test the system with a regular PC ATX PSU(since it looks like it uses the same connector)?
NO!
The connector is the same but the pinout is different, you also need to do some modifications to use a regular ATX PSU.

NeWmAn

Something I have forgotten to add..
If you have a V1.6 Xbox it could be that the PSU is OK but there's a dead transistor that makes the unit unresponsive to the Power or Eject buttons.

l_oliveira

V1.6 has aways +5v on instead of having a VSB line like earlier consoles had.
Also, odd enough, old consoles have a VSB of 3.3v instead of the usual 5V seen on PCs
The PSON signal  (Power Supply ON) signal is also inverted. All this is to try preventing people from using a PC PSU with it.

A simple inverter circuit with an NPN transistor for PSON, a 1Amp 3.3v voltage regulator on VSB and another 3.3v voltage regulator on PowerGOOD (this one can be smaller) should make any XBOX (up to V1.5) happy with a PC PSU.