ac adapter plug and output info needed

Started by jetblue, March 06, 2008, 08:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetblue

Hi i need some help with some outputs and plug measurements for some ac adapters for this plug project im doing.
This is what i have so far:

Super Nintendo Entertainment System SNS-002
Input AC 120V 60Hz 17W 
Output 10V DC 850Ma
Negative Tip
Inline power plug with center pin:  O.D. 7.5mm  I.D. 4.5  with a pin 1mm
No radioshack plug
same model pictured here:  http://www.electronicplus.com/images/products/S7X4.35X1.jpg
item #S7X4.35X1 manufactured by Philmore i think.

Genesis MK-1602
Input: 120V 60Hz 17W     
Output: 9V DC 1.2A
Negative Tip
plug O.D. 5.5mm I.D. 2.1mm
radioshack adaptaplug type M

nomad,32x,genesis 2,pico MK-2103
Input: 120V AV 60Hz 15W
Output: 10V DC 0.85A
positive tip
plug O.D. 4.75mm. I.D. 1.7mm
radio shack adaptaplug type C   

TurboDuo
Input: 120V AC 60HZ 16W 
Output: 10V DC 1000Ma
positive tip
plug O.D. 6.3mm. I.D. 3.0mm
radio shack adaptaplug type Q

Neo Geo AES Pro-Pow
Input: 100V ac 50/60 Hz 38Va
Output: DC 5v  3a
negative tip
plug O.D. 5.5mm I.D. 2.1mm
radioshack adaptaplug type M

sega cdx MK-4122
Input: 120v  60Hz  23w
Output: 9.5v dc  1.5a
positive tip
plug O.D. 4.75mm. I.D. 1.7mm
radio shack adaptaplug type C

Do i have the plug diameters right?
Also what i need help with is that when i use a multitester to test the outputs of these ac adapters this is what i get:

snes--13v
sega  mk 2103--12.5v
neo geo pro pow--5v
sega mk 1602--?
sega mk 4122 -- 11.5v
Are they slightly higher than what they have on the label on purpose? Can someone check theres with a tester? Only the neo geo was on mark.

Thanks

Places i found online that have these plugs and some female:
http://www.electronicplus.com/content/ProductPage.asp?pagenum=1&lname=&maincat=PS&subcat=PCO
http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/Philmore_Plugs_and_Jacks.html

The various names for these plugs are confusing.
Like the ac adapters plug into PCB mounted power jacks or coaxial jacks and the ac adapters or wall warts plugs are coaxial power plugs.

NFG

These cheap power supplies typically trend high in their actual output, and only deliver the promised voltage when they're under a typical load.  If you plug it in and turn the console on you'll find the measurements either accurate or a bit low.

The NEO GEO PRO POW power supply is a switching unit, and contains many more components for regulating a stable power output.  PRO POW 2 and 3 units are regular 9V wall warts and will probably vary like the rest.

kendrick

It's also worth noting that a lot of game consoles have internal regulation. The Genesis/Megadrive really runs off of 5V, and so has a 7805 that steps down the power from the wall unit. As I understand it, manufacturing of the AC adapter was frequently outsourced and Sega's engineers wanted to make sure they accounted for a big spread of output variance.

NFG

Pretty much all consoles have internal regulators if they're using wall-warts for power.  SNES, MD, PC Engine...  In fact, I can't think of any that don't have one.  It's pretty much required, because of the relatively variable output of the power packs.

jetblue

ah i see,my plug project was to make male to female adapters so i can use a single ac adapter for all my consoles or just 1 or 2 for the real hard to get adapters like for the turbo duo. But with such high output differences i might blow or fry something.
Thanks

jetblue

i got partial success. was able to make a genny 2 adapter plug for the turbo duo with no side effects.

I think its like you all say about the voltage regulators in the system will keep it in check.
A little more info here:  http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=1480.30
bottom post or post #34.

I still plan to make more for other systems that i dont have ac adapters for.

kendrick

Be careful. Some regulators are more picky than others. The TurboExpress/PCEngine GT in particular is notorious for failing once a non-standard AC adapter is connected.. In theory, you can feed it all nine volts from an Atari Lynx adapter, which has the same connector. In practice, if you give it any more than about 7.8 volts you'll run the regulator hot and burn it out. If you can help it, stay as close as you can to the OEM output.

ken_cinder

Wouldn't it just be easier to buy a multi adapter, than going through all this trouble?

I own one that has like 11 different plugs, voltages selector from 3v to 12v (Something like that, I'm not looking at it right now) with a polarity selector switch. Will fit pretty much anything.