News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

XVI 5.25 Floppy

Started by Broken, February 20, 2008, 12:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broken

Hi can anyone get a floppy 5.25 inch drive for an XVI tower? One of mine is working but the other is bust. I tried drive cleaners and also took it apart and tried the cleaning guide that was posted on the forum. I'm in the Uk.

NFG

These drives are proving to be the rarest things on an X68000.  I hve four or five units here and only one has perfectly working drives.

The only repair page I've ever seen was limited to lubricating the drive rails, which doesn't really help most drives.

NeWmAn

I've adjusted one non working drive, I did this:

1) Cleaned all the dust with compressed air then cleaned the heads with isoprophylic alcohol
2) Removed the old lubricant (which had dried) and replaced it with molykote
3) Moved the tension (of the upper head assembly) spring up one notch

Broken

Hi I could get an air duster but have little hope with that. I removed the old lubricant and replace with silicone grease as from the guide posted here. I could try the tension though. Thanks for that. Also Lawrence's post on the drive looks interesting. I'll check it sometime. 

NeWmAn

Quote from: Hungkuen on February 27, 2008, 09:38:37 PMas from the guide posted here.

Hi, could you point me to the guide? I can't find it ???

Btw, maybe it was just luck. My drive was partially working, it would read for a while then just give read error.
I cleaned and lubbed and still it wasn't working. Then I tried keeping a finger on the head and as a miracle no more read error!

Broken

Hi sorry about the stupidly late reply. Did you find the guide?

NFG

NeWmAn

Thanks for the link!

Lawrence, can you tell what's more common on X68s with a drive defect:

1) defective A only
2) defective B only
3) both defective

NFG

It doesn't seem to matter, in my experience.  Both of them are equally likely to be dead.

Broken

I think I have the guide in the best English translation if anyone's interested. It's ok but not great.