Import trouble with a Super Famicom, Action Replay, and Donkey Kong Country (US)

Started by CZroe, October 21, 2007, 10:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CZroe

I'm trying to get Donkey Kong Country to work on my SFC without any physical modifications. I'm a collector and I simply need the S-Video output for a video project. I don't want to deface the unit or make it noticably modified as it too will appear in the video. All my other SNES consoles are either broken or model 2's without S-Video. Here is the problem:

My Naki GameSaver+ demonstrates audio glitches and locks up after a few levels/bonus levels. I remember calling the company when I first got it and getting a code that would fix the issues with DKC, but I don't have that anymore and the original included list stops with releases from around 1993. They aren't PAR codes, but if anyone knows what they are, it might be something I could figure out.

My Pro Action Replay is the original model without the additional pins on the side for carts that have extra CPU and power requirements, but DKC is not a game that needs them. The PAR's middle switch position should work for DKC according to the instructions and the Internet, and it does to some extent... the problem is that it triggers the "Unauthorized backup unit" message when I try to start a new game. It does this in all three positions, with a second copy of the game inserted in the back (I have cartridges for both 1.0 and 1.1 versions). I can't find a way around this. The weird thing is that DKC2 works flawlessly through it. Why would they be less tenacious when it comes to blocking unauthorized copies with the sequel?

Note: The SNES/SFC PAR does not have code storage, so I doubt it's a simple SRAM check that is triggering this.

I've almost given up and just bought another full-sized SNES... as if I need another (I already have FOUR).

While we are on the subject, since the goal is higher-quality video capture, I may just do an RGB mod if someone can point me to a good RGB capture card. Hardly any of my equipment supports 64-bit, and my nicest video workstation is 64-bit, so that would be a big plus. I'm hoping to multiplex it with Picture-in-Picture to show the screen capture and the live console being played, but I don't have the hardware for that either.

NeWmAn

Do you need to run the SNES game in a SFC console without ruining such SFC or do you also need the cheat cartridge to work?

NFG

It seems to me your easiest option might be to just remove the cartridge's PCB from the plastic shell.  It requires only a pair of pliers and patience.

CZroe

Quote from: Lawrence on October 21, 2007, 12:29:40 PM
It seems to me your easiest option might be to just remove the cartridge's PCB from the plastic shell.  It requires only a pair of pliers and patience.
It was very hard to find a v1.0 cartridge after selling my original purchased at launch, and I don't want to risk it.

I guess I should just buy a US SNES somewhere or go the RGB-modded SNES model 2 route. I certainly have an extra model 2, including one that has already been "defaced" with a replaced cartridge port (it doesn't really fit and it's bent down like the pirate SNES model 2).

If the PAR has problems with a huge title like DKC, wouldn't there be PAR cheats to bypass it or at least a mention of it somewhere on the Internet? So far, all the DKC PAR cheats I find are oblivious of the fact that the game doesn't work with a PAR! Technically, they're just EMU cheats. ;)

ニユ-マン: I only needed to run it on an SFC because I have no other unit capable of outputting S-Video. I am only using the cheat cartridge to bypass the physical lock-out without opening the console. One of the primary functions is as an import adapter, and it should work fine with the switch in the "disable" position. It does work fine for other games, including the sequel (DKC2/Super Donkey Kong 2).

NeWmAn

I was going to suggest you to remove the cart or the SFC shell   :(

QuoteNote: The SNES/SFC PAR does not have code storage, so I doubt it's a simple SRAM check that is triggering this.

I have a Par Mark 2 with the additional side pins. Inside it there's a 32Kbyte ram, if your PAR has the same size ram inside then the protection could be a SRAM check ???
If you are feeling adventurous, you can hack hack your PAR to either disable part of the SRAM or complete the wiring of the backside slot.

CZroe

I took mine apart and didn't see a battery. I guess it uses the SRAM as work RAM so the cheat software doesn't interfere with games... too bad the SRAM checks DO interfere with games. ;)