News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

32X imports?

Started by CZroe, October 21, 2007, 09:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CZroe

I keep reading that the Sega 32X games are region locked and require the correct region "console" to run. Nothing clarifies if they are talking about the Genesis/Megadrive region console or the 32X console region. The situation kinda requires differentation considering that they function together. If I change the region of my Genesis console, will I be able to play a Japanese 32X game on a US 32X+US Genesis? I don't want to order this game until I know for sure.

FM-77

Doesn't matter what Mega Drive you have (as long as it is region modded). It's all in the actual 32X. There's no way you can play PAL 32X games on an NA system, for example. No way. In hell.

CZroe

Quote from: FM-77 on October 21, 2007, 10:08:24 AM
Doesn't matter what Mega Drive you have (as long as it is region modded). It's all in the actual 32X. There's no way you can play PAL 32X games on an NA system, for example. No way. In hell.

That's what I thought, but I wondered why no one said it so definitively before (in my Google searching) and figured that they very well may have been referencing ONLY the Genesis "console." ;)

Is there lock-out or region-specific hardware in the cart? If so, can I transplant the ROM chip to a US cart? If not, can I dump the game, modify the header or region, and flash to an EPROM socketed in the original cart?

Endymion

Use this information as you will.

I have a switched Genesis. When using it in JP mode with my 32X, several USA 32X games give Japanese versions.

Fix_Metal

guys there's a mod for the 32x. it's on the sega kore (french website) archives.
I've modded a NTSC/U 32x and now it works on my MD2 PAL.
http://www.segakore.fr/articles/switch_32x.html

There's an english hint (the entire article is written in french damnit :|) which says:
QuoteImportant notes for English-speaking people interested in the following modification : the 32X switch is NOT a country switch, but a compatibility switch. It's NOT your 32X which is aimed by the country protection of games, but your Mega Drive/Genesis. If you want to play all 32X games in the world, you have to switch both your Mega Drive/Genesis (country & frequency) AND your 32X addon (for PAL/NTSC compatibility).

I suggest you to mod the 32x like written in the 4th point (rev 2006). It's just simplier and works great.

CZroe

I still don't understand. It looks as if this mod switches between NTSC and PAL, while I was told that I could not play a Japanese game on a US console (NTSC on NTSC). If I understand this correctly, the 32X is only region locked in that a PAL game can't play on an NTSC 32X and vice versa, while the games locked to specific regions within that still look at the Genesis inside (the old Genesis region mod). Is this correct? If so, I could play and JPN or US game on my US 32X with a simple switch inside my US Genesis, but I don't see anyone saying that this is possible.

If it weren't for that list of games, I'd have no idea that some games work in multiple regions (certainly contradicts what I'm seeing elsewhere). Anyway, the game I wanted from Japan for cheap actually is one of those USA+JPN titles.

Endymion

And here I could have sworn I just said it is possible.

At least, I can't think of any other good reason that with nothing but a JPN/USA switch in my Genesis I would be getting JPN versions of USA-made 32X games. I have no JPN 32X titles, but I would bet that they would run on my unit just from having the switch on the Genesis side.

From my experience I would say FixMetal's info looks like it is only relevant when you have a PAL unit or PAL games.

blackevilweredragon

Let me say this, I read the documents and have a perfect understanding of this.

All the region mod on the 32X does, is set the Genlock.  If the Genlock is incorrectly set, and the video input is of a different vertical refresh, the Genlock fails, and the 32X won't boot.  This works good as a region mod.  That means an JAP 32X could in theory works on a USA Genesis.

Security checks are actually done on the Genesis itself.

Fix_Metal

Quote from: blackevilweredragon on October 28, 2007, 10:38:12 AM
Let me say this, I read the documents and have a perfect understanding of this.

All the region mod on the 32X does, is set the Genlock.  If the Genlock is incorrectly set, and the video input is of a different vertical refresh, the Genlock fails, and the 32X won't boot.  This works good as a region mod.  That means an JAP 32X could in theory works on a USA Genesis.

Security checks are actually done on the Genesis itself.
I don't have knowledge of french, so I just trust you. Plus, I did the mod on my 32x and it seem to work exactly like you said.
Anyway I use a USA 32x with PAL MD2 + Mega CD2

kendrick

Out of curiosity, are there any 32x games that were region-exclusive that would make all this pfaffing around with the region lock worthwhile? Apart from Darxide, it doesn't look like any other game didn't get an official print in all three regions.

-KKC, effecting Dreamcast repairs for no good reason.

NFG

This is my problem with all 32X mods: there just aren't any games worth playing for the damned thing.  Of course, I say this coming from the POV of someone who has suffered a bit of a falling out with the MegaDrive as a whole recently...

That said, I'm a big fan of hardware reduction.  The mod makes it easy to have one 32X instead of 2, and makes it easy to play games from another region if they turn out to be cheaper.

Which reminds me, I need to work out a way to dump my Kolibri proto.

blackevilweredragon

Quote from: Lawrence on October 29, 2007, 11:39:02 AM
This is my problem with all 32X mods: there just aren't any games worth playing for the damned thing.  Of course, I say this coming from the POV of someone who has suffered a bit of a falling out with the MegaDrive as a whole recently...

That said, I'm a big fan of hardware reduction.  The mod makes it easy to have one 32X instead of 2, and makes it easy to play games from another region if they turn out to be cheaper.

Which reminds me, I need to work out a way to dump my Kolibri proto.
I have a programmers cable and can dump carts to a .bin file that works in an emulators.  I was the one you did a 9303 dump of the Sega CD BIOS, the "working" one.

There does a exist a way to do this too, via the Mask of Density Transfer Suite.

Endymion

So are we agreed that the 32X mod, done on the 32X, only needs to happen if you are using any PAL hardware and/or PAL carts? The switch on the Genesis/MD side appears to be the only thing needed to get JPN<->USA carts going. I haven't got all the 32X games, but I've got damn near all of them, pretty much everything but a couple sports games, and I've not heard of any others released in PAL-land that couldn't be had for NTSC. Darxide was one of these? Wasn't that an unreleased title?

blackevilweredragon

Quote from: Endymion on October 30, 2007, 01:53:03 AM
So are we agreed that the 32X mod, done on the 32X, only needs to happen if you are using any PAL hardware and/or PAL carts? The switch on the Genesis/MD side appears to be the only thing needed to get JPN<->USA carts going. I haven't got all the 32X games, but I've got damn near all of them, pretty much everything but a couple sports games, and I've not heard of any others released in PAL-land that couldn't be had for NTSC. Darxide was one of these? Wasn't that an unreleased title?
Correct, the 32X mod is more of a "sync matching" thing.  Genny needs the correct JAP/USA setting.