Broken SNES and GAMECUBE

Started by Scias, September 08, 2007, 01:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scias

Ok so I came across a busted SNES and Gamecube.  The SNES is the original model and gives a black screen.  It flashes red when I switch it on, then nothing.  The light comes on and all major components checked out ok.  I don't have an oscope so I can't determine if it's one of the crystals.  But when I change the trimmer cap value on xtal 1, I get different flashes when I turn it on.  I connected different cap values parallel to the trimmer, and it also changed it, and got rid of the red.  I also experimented with different variable inductor values for kicks, and it did the same.  One time one of the inductors caused the screen to show a bunch of white and gray blocks.  Don't think there's a short anywhere on the main board, nothing is getting hot or popping.  

The Gamecube is also one of the older models.  The fan and light come on, but the screen is blank and the disk doesn't spin.  I was hoping one of the little ribbon cables came unatached but alas, they were in tact.  So I really don't know what it might be.

Any suggestions?

Fix_Metal

SNES:
sounds like a failing on the connector. have you tried spraying some contact cleaner on it?

GC:
really don't know
hope this helps :)

CZroe

Quote from: Fix_Metal on October 01, 2007, 08:38:13 PM
SNES:
sounds like a failing on the connector. have you tried spraying some contact cleaner on it?

GC:
really don't know
hope this helps :)

I recently took down three model 2 SNES units that had been in my attic and tried a cart on one. It took many, many, many attempts to get it working, but I did manage to figure out that it was just oxidation. Now, I was always quick to break out the alcohol and swabs when I was a kid playing with my NES, and I had a lot of SNES games  freeze due to jiggling the cartridge, but I never encountered anything like this.

Basically, I had to insert and remove so many times that I just had to start going nuts with something like, 15 or more rapid-fire insertions and removals between power-on attempts. I eventually gave up and started trying other games each of which did not work until I got to about the tenth one. All of a sudden, it came to life! I tried touching the cart and it locked up. One more removal and insertion and it stopped locking up. I went back through each game I had just tried to get back to the first and each worked (including the first). It would almost always lock up when I touch it, indicating some remaining connection issue. After a few more removals and insertions, it was very much improved. Then, I decided to try something I usually reserved for my NES: I blew a quick puff in the connector and it didn't have another problem at all.

Then I moved on to the second SNES and it was an exact repeat of the situation above. Clean games that are known to be working in one system refuse to "self clean" and work after a ridiculous amount of insertions and removals, even though that technique was getting somewhere, it never quite got there until the blowing part. The third SNES was one that I replaced the connector on (physically damaged when I bought it) and it didn't really fit with the new non-Nintendo eBay part (meant for a model 1 I guess), so I wasn't going to be rough with it. ;) I decided to take the time and effort to dig up my Official Nintendo SNES Cleaning Kit.

Even when it seems like it can't possibly be a case of regular oxidation of the games or the connector after that many attempts, it very well could be. With SNES consoles reaching the ages that they are, I figured that I'm certainly not the only one encountering it. Remember: Most of the games worked first try after finally gettin a single one to work, so the oxidation problem is really the console's connector.

Scias

Cool, I appreciate the info.  Yeah it very well could be a connection issue, I didn't even think about something that simple.  I'm always inclined to jump to more complex solutions just cause they're more fun to solve I guess.  I did, however, fry the fuse and a little diode array by being careless.  ::)  Fortunately that was easily fixable and it still works to the extent it has been.  I'll definitely give it a try though.  Thanks for the suggestions guys.

ken_cinder

Did you happen to check for a botched mod attempt on the Cube? I've done many myself, and seen several poor attempts that needed serious rework.

Check these pictures from the Qoob website and make sure there are no bridged points, where there shouldn't be (Of course, ignoring the mod diagrams). And check for any other anomalies, the Cube is easy to KO, but thankfully also easy to repair as the design is simplistic in nature.

http://qoobchip.com/images/diagrams/qoob_pro_gc_ab.jpg < DOL-001

http://qoobchip.com/images/diagrams/qoob_pro_gc_c.jpg < DOL-101

Pay close attention to points E+F marked in those pictures, most often bad mod attempts are bridged points here. This is the BIOS (IPL, Bootrom) and one bridged point doesn't keep the system from turning on and appearing to function, but your symptoms are the exact result of such a bridge.

Scias

Well it's actually my friend's whom I've known for an eternity.  He's not the modding type.  But perhaps there's a dry solder joint hanging around or something.  I was too lazy to dismantle the entire thing last time, but I'll definitely give it a try tonight.