Is X-arcade or PS controller to 2600 possible?

Started by Edward, January 14, 2004, 11:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward

Call me crazy, but I still prefer to use my old consoles rather than emulation. So heres the trouble I'm trying to get myself into...  :rolleyes:

I have an x-arcade 2 player for my MAME setup and would love to use it to control my atari 2600 and 800xl. X-arcade doesn't make adapters for classic systems, but they do make them for playstation, dreamcast, gamecube and xbox. So if I buy an adapter, Im faced with a ps, dc, cube, or xbox to atari hack.

After scouring the net (okay, maybe not quite *scouring*) I've come up empty.  Atari has 5 pins for directions and button, while the others (what little I can learn of them) seem to have a single command pin. Anyone have any ideas on how I can do this? Any help at all would be most appreciated. Thx.
Ed

matt

You can get a Playstation-to-NeoGeo adaptor, which should be easy to adapt to the 2600, at least.

Agentspikey95

Why the hell would you wanna hook up a PS ccontroller to a 2600 anyhow? i could see if you can't find the joysticks, but...seriously! although that would be cool if you could get a black and wood grain PS controller....
Why are you reading this?

Scared0o0Rabbit

if he could hook up a ps controller, then he could use the psx adaptor for the x-arcade, so he could use the x-arcade on his 2600.  In reply to his question, if he understands how switches and stuff work, and he's atleast semi competent with a soldering iron, he could probably put a 2600 controller in the housing, they are fairly room inside as I recall.

Feeling Scared? ^_~

Edward

Matt-
The playstation to NeoGeo adapter approach looks good as the NeoGeo also has separate pins for directions/buttons and doesnt require a +5v pin it seems. Any idea where I can obtain the adapter you referred to?

Rabbit-
Nice lo-tech solution. Don't hack the pin-outs, kluge another joystick into the box itself. lol. I may do it if I can't locate the neo-geo adapter.

Thanks for the help folks.

Scared0o0Rabbit

I didn't like the button layout when used with the gamecube adaptor, so I changed the insides of mine to reflect the layout I wanted for capcom vs snk 2 lol.  At the same time I installed a couple switches to make it so I could return it to it's original state easily, though I've never used them.  Was one of the first 'mod' sort of things I ever did lol.

Feeling Scared? ^_~