SNES Mode 7 broken

Started by blackevilweredragon, August 07, 2007, 11:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

Wow, never thought a specific mode on my SNES would actually fail..  the most spectacular mode that is!

It's not a cartridge thing, as I even went to resoldering the cartridge connector, and yet it's still having this issue.  the power supply is fine, i even tried another one just in case..  I'm at a total loss right now...  Check out this video (and still images), to see what I mean... the games run fine though...

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/snes.mp4

Computolio

That's amazing. Time to buy another SNES.

blackevilweredragon

no one knows how to fix it :(  i really hate saying this, but can anyone donate an SNES for me?  I don't have the money..

if not, i'll just save up for one..  preferably a model 1 SNES, and not those smaller newer ones..  i need S-Video and stereo sound...

l_oliveira

Sorry about necro posting on this thread but few days ago I repaired an Super Famicom with the same problem.

I leave an reply to this so people know what is going on with their SNES/SFC with this failure.

Sadly it was the S-PPU1 (5C77) is a 100 pin QFP chip, which requires special equipment for re-working.

phreak97

where'd you get another one without ruining an already working snes?

l_oliveira

I got an non working US SNES (it failed due to mainboard corrosion). I just took the system apart, removed all the important chips, the cartridge connector slot and the sound module and tossed the rest away. Then I used the parts to fix the other two units I had here (one was missing a ton of parts including the top cover and the SFC got it's S-PPU1 replaced. It's working flawlessly now.