Help with Saturn region toggle

Started by dark79, June 29, 2007, 12:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dark79

Ok, so I don't know much about how all this stuff works. But I can follow directions pretty well  :P

Anyway I tried adding a region toggle to a Model 2 Saturn but for some reason I can't get it to detect JPN games. US games still worked fine (but then again they worked without the toggle  :P )

So, I'm looking for help on what jumpers I should be concentrating on or if there's something else I can do to get this working. Any help would be appreciated.

Pic attached is after wires were attached (excuse my weak solder skills).

Also the instructions I ended up followed: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/saturn/file/916393/6458

(Version 3 under section 9.6)

NFG

You might want to check out the GameSX mod information page and see if the advice matches the gamefaqs page you used...  The first PCB diagram shows the PCB revision you've got.  Make sure you've connected all the correct points.  The wires you've used are unnecessarily thick (if you flex 'em you'll rip traces off the PCB), but your soldering looks good.

This page has information regarding this particular motherboard.  Particularly, this image which shows the centre points for the two US/JP jumpers you're working with.

dark79

Thanks for the help! After a little more research I figured out that two of the wires weren't soldered on the right pads (oops). It's working perfectly now.

Now I have a new question:

On another Saturn (different board), I was trying to do a region mod, but I lifted one of the pads because my soldering iron sucks. So, I tried to scrape a little of the green off the board and solder it that way, which worked but.... now, JPN games will load and play just fine. But when I switch the toggle to US, the power light pulses and the system won't turn on. Help?

EDIT: NM, looks like I accidentally cut a trace. Once I fixed that it started working again.  :P