Newbie SCART to Component Questions

Started by Black Superman, June 14, 2007, 07:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Superman

I was hoping I could get some good insight from you guys as I start to try to get into RGB modding.

I was originally going to try to work on a solution to get my consoles to display on an RGB or arcade monitor but have since abandoned that idea as I will no longer have enough space keep a monitor of that size and a TV. On top of that, every monitor I have found for sale was too expensive after factoring in shipping. Since I can't replace my 36" Sony CRT TV, I am going to have to continue using it to play my games on. I currently have my Saturn and Dreamcast going to my TV using S-Video and my PS2 using Component but I wanted to see if I could improve on the quality.

1.) My main question is how much picture quality will I gain if I tried to do mod RGB SCART cables from my consoles to the Component inputs of my TV?
2.) I would assume there would be an improvement going from S-Video to Component, but will it be worth it since it's not an RGB or Arcade monitor?
3.) Would the picture quality on the PS2 using the RGB cable and converting it to Component be the same as simply using the PS2 Component cable?
4.) I was planning on using the jrok RGB to Component Video Encoder but I didn't notice an audio output. Besides using a SCART cable with a separate audio lead, how would I get the audio from this circuit?
5.) I think of these three consoles, only the PS2 will need a sync separator. If that is the case, if I install the LMXXX chip, how will that affect the Saturn and Dreamcast output?

Any help you guys can give will be extremely helpful. I am new to electronics, circuitry and hackery but am very interested in learning more and starting new projects of my own.  

Drewman21

Dude I went the JROK route for my systems so I can tell you what worked for me.  

1) There is a boost in quality and with your sony crt you'll see a difference between composite and component.
2)Yup
3)No just use the component from the PS2 as is.  If your TV will do progressive even better.
4)The JROK does not have audio outs.  You'll most likely want to do a "box" for the Jrok with power and some kind of inputs and outputs to your tv. This means you'll have to do custom cables for your  systems as some need caps and resistors in line for some signals and the connectors if you plan on using Scart or phono jacks like I did.  Also some old systems need sync for the RGB to work.  You'll need to use a sync stripper like the LM1881 or just buy one from Jrok that he sells also.
5) Leave the PS2 RGB alone if you can and worry about the other systems.

Google for "Eviltim RGB" and you should find his diagrams for the systems you might have and the parts needed.

Good luck its totally worth it!

Endymion

What he said. Short of a fault from improper work or interferance, you should have an excellent picture carrying over to component. You should definitely use component where it is available, that means Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, Cube, Xbox, and PS2. Go with JROK or whatever else for your classic games that never had component. Go to ebay, do a search for scart switchboxes, and you'll find several 2, 3, or 5 or more switchboxes available very cheaply. Nearly every one that you see will be 90% hollow on the inside, which means you will have plenty of room to mount  your board in there and get to work modding. Once you have your converter box done you can just get scart rgb cables for your old consoles and plug them up. Good luck.

Black Superman

Great replies guys! Thanks a lot. That really helped me understand things better.

So to summarize:

1.) Upgrading the Saturn and Dreamcast signals from S-Video to RGB using SCART to Component transcoding will give me a noticable PQ improvement, despite my set being a regular CRT TV an not an RGB monitor.
2.) The RGB route will not make a significant difference for the PS2 though since it can do Component.
3.) Since I will only have the Saturn and Dreamcast to mod, I won't need the LM1881 chip (unless I decide to mod some other systems).

I think I have it all set. I saw a couple of SCART switchboxes (Thanks for the great eBay tip) so i will be able to use that to get the audio and an enclosure for the transcoder. One more question though if I may:

Alternatively, If I had a projector that could accept RGB through it's VGA/HD-15 pin connector, what other requirement would in need to have to display the games correctly (refresh rates, etc...) and would the mod simply consist of a SCART to VGA/HD-15 pin cable?

Again thanks for the help guys!!