I built a CXA1645 based chroma encoder

Started by grahf, April 16, 2007, 02:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grahf

I just want to say thank you to everyone who answered my few stupid questions. I picked up a PC Engine Duo-R a while ago, and eventually started on a quest to improve the video output. I finally decided that s-video was the best path. I picked up a CXA1645M from ebay and got to work. Months later I finished the project. I had to do countless hours of research (effectivly re-learning a lot of things about electronics that I forgotten, as well as learning a ton about video). Special thanks to Viletim and Lawrence for replying to some of my threads with useful info.

I constructed the entire thing with a SMD CXA1645, since the dip packages are impossible to find. This made things a LOT harder for me, but it also saved space. I was able to pack the entire thing onto a 4.5cm square project board (1-3/4"). I used the standard LM1881 sync seperator, and a 1/2 size crystal clock oscillator.

NFG

grahf

Thank you!  I had it hooked up to a coregrafx to test, and now have finally put it into its home :D  I installed a 3-pin header so the svideo-out plug can be easily detached when i take the case off.

It may seem simple to you more experienced modders, but I must say im pretty damn happy right now :P The picture quality is a much bigger improvement from the composite than I thought it would be.

"Wow, I cant believe it works!"

Drewman21

Dude very nice work.   Nice clean install. I would love to get my hands on one too and mod it up.  Thanks for showing your work off man!