Old hack for Amiga - Would it still work?

Started by zxcvbnm, March 15, 2007, 02:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zxcvbnm

I have an old Amiga 500 and I have been tralling the net to find a cheap way to get a colour display out of it. I found some old instructions here that basically say all that needs to be done to use a vga monitor is invert the horizontal and vertical sync because the monitor expects them to be high and the Amiga outputs them low.

Now these instructions are pretty old and I'm not sure if I should bother trying it on my monitor which is about 5 years old. Does this need a monitor that will sync to 15khz? or could it work with 60khz monitor? Also the schematic shows some monitor ID bits being put to low, these are different on new monitors so could this also cause problems?

Also if it would work could I use a 74s08n instead of a 74ls08n?

I have uploaded the schematic in bitmap format with the post so you don't need to bother finding a way to open the .IFF file.

Any help welcomed.

ido8bit

I haven't looked at the schematic you uploaded, but you will need a 15kHz monitor.  The Amiga 500 only outputs 15kHz video unless it has been upgraded with a 3rd party flicker fixer.

zxcvbnm

I suspected as much, but I've decided to give it a try anyway. It will only cost around $10 (provided I don't kill my monitor) I'll report back with the (most likely failed) results.  

viletim!

zxcvbnm,

Modern VGA monitors (by that I mean those made after about 1992 :)) don't care what polarity the sync signal is. The Amiga's video would be totaly VGA compattible were it not for the fact that the vast, vast majority of VGA monitors will not display a 15KHz (horiz.) video signal. The few that do haven't been made for at least 10 years or so. I suggest abandoning the little ammount of hope you have left...

If you want to play around with your Amiga then either get a 15KHz RGB monitor (like the commodore 1084 series) or an Amiga modulator (A520 - I think) and plug it into your TV.

RARusk

Or, if you have the money, get an XRGB unit which I hear does an excellent job of upscaling 15Khz RGB signals into 31Khz RGB signals.
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

zxcvbnm

Thanks for the info everyone,

I'll probably just build a composite video adapter with a cxa1145 or cxa1645 instead.